Birthday Breakfast Buffet

I am a firm believer in big birthday celebrations.  For me, it’s not so much about the party favors, or the price of the gifts–it’s about the fuss.

There must be fuss.

I mean, we each get one special day a year.  And I do my best to make sure that the birthdays in my house are properly recognized.  Mostly because I love my family but partly so I can remind everyone in the days (okay weeks) leading up to MY birthday of all the things I did for them on theirs.

Not that I’m a keeping score kind of girl.  STOPJUDGING

A few years ago, I made my son a surprise Birthday Breakfast Buffet.  He loved it so much, he’s asked for it every year since.  It’s so easy to put together, the hardest part is just buying the food.

Of course, this is totally subject to what your child likes.  This year, our buffet consisted of yogurt, cereal, mini chocolate and powdered donuts, sausage, watermelon, milk and juice.  See how easy?  The only thing I had to cook was the sausage.  But it still looked like I worked super hard.

There are only two things that are absolutely necessary for a successful Birthday Breakfast Buffet:

Mini boxes of cereal.  Stacked up like a cool pyramid.

Mini bottles of milk and juice.  Preferably pink milk, but whatevs.

Little cereals and drinks are cool to kids.   If you don’t have them the whole thing will be ruined. RUINED!!

If you have some cake stands or cute jars, get those out too.  You can use the cake stands for displaying the food and the jars for holding silverware/straws.

To tell you the truth, I love Birthday Breakfast Buffet too.  It’s sort of like I’m at a hotel, only funner!!

Give it a whirl.

Comments

Wenderly says:

Love! Sassafras’ birthday is coming up in a few weeks…I’m totally going to do this!

Amy says:

Love this idea. Will have to remember this for the next sleepover too. I always get up and wonder what to offer to a group of teens when they all like different stuff. I ain’t a short order cook.

I love this idea! My guy turns 5 in January. Somebody remind me of this, okay? No- for reals.

Ha! Best mom ever award!

LOVE. IT. I’m totally copying your idea so my kid will think I’m the coolest mom ever.

Amanda says:

What a great idea!!

This is brilliant. I can’t wait do this for my oldest. Thanks for the awesome idea!

Cathy says:

I completely agree, birthdays were like christmas to me since we didn’t celebrate any holidays growing up. Our presents were always lined up on the table waiting for us in the morning with something like tater tots in a bowl for breakfast. :) So yes 27 years down and I am still in love with my birthday and act like a 5 year old every year. I MUST have a cake with my name on it! I am going to incorporate this idea for the next birthday in our house though, love it!

Lizy b says:

Completely agree! It IS all about the fuss! We started a new tradition in our house this year…cupcakes for breakfast! You get as many cupcakes as you are years old! (luckily the munchkins don’t like frosting)

Brilliant!! What a fun and easy way to make a birthday special! I am all about the fuss with birthdays too!

My son’s birthday is Wednesday, so this is PERFECT timing. I’m definitely going to do this. Love it!!!

Love this idea, so cute and simple but with a BIG impact. Such a fab mama you are! The new site it absolutely adorable!

christy says:

This is so cute… I wonder if my husband and kids will do this for me on friday for my thirthy…. ahem… 28th bday. Maybe i’ll do it for me… i mean us anyway!

Megan says:

How fun! Gee my birthday’s this month (I’ll be 28, too!), maybe I can casually drop my husband some hints! I’m all over small boxes and small drinks. Some things I’ll never grow out of!

That is so, so fun!!! i love it!

jessica says:

I lOvE this idea! And totally agree…there needs to be a fuss ;) I’ll be reminding my bf/fam about that one…I turn 29 a week from today! :)

Jocelyn says:

LOVE this. My little girls turns 2 on Monday and when my oldest turned 3 in August, I did a princess birthday for her (purple and pink pancakes, orange (they were supposed to be pink) eggs, pink milk), the works. So, I was wondering what I was gonna do for Alivia…Thanks for this idea. I’m totally doing this, and husband will completely love me, because I’ll have it ready when he comes home to run to school (he works 5am-8am, comes home, changes, goes to school from 8:30-9:30, then comes back, changes and goes back to work from 10-3). He can grab something from the buffet and head on to class. :) Thanks ladies, this is JUST what the Dr. ordered. :)