Candy Wreath

I’m lazy on Halloween.

Yep, I’m that house…where if anyone comes to the door after the God forsaken hour of 8:00 I don’t answer the door. If you don’t hit us between 4:30-7:45 you are outta luck.

Because, you know, handing out the candy is fun the first hour…then the second it tends to get a little repetitive. “Oh look! A Princess!”, “Oh look! A Transformer!”

But by the third hour, I have usually had it. I know, I’m a grump.

But honestly, the only kids you get at your door after 8:00 are the teenagers, and frankly I do not like giving candy to them. Their costumes are usually lame and the girls are already starting to wear the hugely inappropriate adult female costumes that are on the market. Slutty Cat? No thank you. Slutty Cats deserve no candy.

So I have an answer. A solution, if you will.

Kids can grab a piece or two and be on their way, all without ringing the door bell and making your dog bark like a maniac.

This is a one-up to the candy bowl left on the front step…because you can make it way in advance and use it to decorate your front door for weeks before!

I am all about double duty. Yes, I just said duty.

You need:

• 2-3 pounds of candy. (Candy that is wrapped like a Tootsie Roll, or Hard Candy works best.)
  • A wire hanger
  • thin floral wire
  • wire cutters
  • Ribbon

Here’s what you do first:

Bend your wire hanger into a circle and using your wire cutter snip off the top of the hanger. Loop the ends of the hanger and fasten together to create a circle.

Next start attaching your candy.

Just start looping the wire around the ends of the candy. Once you get 10 pieces or so on, push all the candy together, to create a full look. Repeat this until you have your entire hanger covered. Snip your floral wire when you’re finished.

Now, you will want to hang it…You can do it a few ways. You can attach a ribbon to the top and hang it like this…

Or you can hang it directly on you door hanger, which is what I did. I tied a ribbon on my door hanger. Either way works.

**Tip ~ When you attach the ribbon to hang, or hang it on your door DON”T put the top of the hanger at the top. Turn the wreath 45 degrees and hang it at the “15 minute mark”. It will help the wire hold it’s shape better.

Comments

Too cute, I love this. Sadly the sun beats down on my front door and I can see this being a sticky mess, but can I hang one in my room? Every time I enter I get a treat? Or on the fridge, you know to stop me from grabbing a snack out of there…hehe! Cute idea, funny story, thanks! Love the new blog.

Haha. “Every time I enter I get a treat.” That’s hilarious. I am having visions of women all over American hanging these on their bedroom doors and plucking off a piece every time they walk past to put the laundry away.

Paula Chaffin says:

Two of my favorite blogs, joined together, this is better than I don’t know what, it’s just better than that!!!
    This is the cutest idea!!! Wish I had kids at home or lived near anyone!!! I will have to try this at Christmas with
    Christmas candy!!!
    Now I can see why John David won’t be having any clean socks! Too much fun!!!

Super cute idea!!!! I love it and love the idea of no one ringing my bell. I’m a grump too when they wake up my baby.

You mean I don’t have to answer my door on Halloween? I’m all over this! :-)

What a fantastic idea! I’m going to make one of these to hang on the door for the early-birds. That way, we can all trick or treat with the kids!

Stephanie says:

wow, I LOVE that you guys have joined forces on a new blog!! Great idea, you sly foxes you.

Paula says:

This is really a cute idea and I can see using it for different holidays (with different candy of course) and for a decoration at a children’s birthday party. Hey, it may even replace smashing a pinata to bits! Best wishes for great success on this new joint venture ladies!

We actually get no trick or treaters!! I would be all over this because answering the door on Halloween is just not our idea of a fun night and no, slutty cats do NOT deserve candy. But I may do one of these for hubby’s co-workers and make him a popular boy!

SAndy says:

I think Halloween, is fun so I keep my light till 10pm and will give candy to the teenagers cause they are just kids , its a fun night out for them, and if they make it our house it 2 fist full of candy and 2 big candy bars and a glow stick!! and maybe some silly string :)

Love this wreath! We usually stop handing out candy around 8pm… at that point it’s all the un-costumed teenagers. I mean, come on, at least dress in costume if your going to trick-or-treat…. work for it!

Sue says:

I love this wreath! So cute! Much better than the bowl, for all the reasons you mentioned. Thanks for the tutorial, Shelly!
    Best wishes to you and Kristan on your joint venture~Watch out world! :)

Anne says:

I made a candy wreath several years ago using a straw wreath as the base. I then attached the candy to the wreath using floral pins. It took a while but the end result was really pretty. I gave it as a “Secret Santa” gift and the recipient loved it!

Ooh this looks so fun! I have to make one for sure! LOVE IT!

Gail says:

Slutty Cats deserve no candy.
    Best blog line ever.

donna giblin says:

This is really cute, but I don’t get trick or treaters :-(

I agree with Gail…SLUTTY CATS DESERVE NO CANDY. You’ll be famous. this is a memorable quote!

I am laughing my butt off from this post. First of all, every comment about passing out Halloween candy is so accurate. Secondly, I LOVE this wreath. Thanks for sharing! :)

So cute!!!!! But now I am jonesing for some candies!!!

Sarah says:

Our trick or treating is in the middle of a Sunday…..yes, while it is daylight, very boring, kind of loses that spooky aspect.
    Thanks for posting this! Growing up my mother would buy the Brachs candy and I would make one of these every year at Christmas time! I think I will make one and think of my mother with every piece I tie on! and another note, we would always hang a pair of childs scissors with a piece of ribbon from the wreath to make removing the candy easier.

What a great idea?!?! I love this wreath, Shelly!

Your site is absolutely, positively perfect! I love it!!! Congratulations to you and Kristan on your new baby.

xoxo,
    Robyn

JulieD says:

This is so cute! And I agree with you, those kids that look like they are 19…LOL, hate giving them candy! I just hope they don’t take the entire wreath! ><

Jessica says:

Ooo…super cute idea! I absolutely love it!

Holly Ann says:

I wish I could trust my neighborhood trick r treaters to just take one or two pieces of candy…one would run off with the whole wreath! Oh well….it’s so cute! I am going to make this tonight!

Lorrie Bell says: