Moms Behaving Badly–Fake Mouse

I am a mom who plays pranks on my kid.

Often.

And as luck would have it, so is Shelly, which is just one of the many reasons she is my bloggy BFF.  We both realize that as moms, it is our right to get a good laugh at the expense of our offspring.

Also, I am pretty sure I read a study somewhere that said that children who are pranked grow up to be smarter and more likely to become rocket scientists.

Such is our love of laughing at our children (with love in our hearts, we promise) that we thought we’d share our trickery with you on a new series called Moms Behaving Badly.  Mostly because it’s fun to watch, but also in the hopes that inspiration will strike and you will do the same at your house.

**Disclaimer:  The following post is shared with the permission of my son, Jon David.

If you read my food blog at all, you know that I am deathly afraid of mice.  So is my son.  So…I recently did a quick search on Amazon.com for a fake mouse and found THIS one for less than $3.

Not the most realistic thing I’ve ever seen, but from a distance it gets the job done.

I tied some clear fishing line around the mouse so that I’d be able to make it move.  And while my son was in the shower, I set it outside the bathroom door so he’d see it when he came out.

(Please excuse the video quality…I had my husband take it on my iPhone and didn’t realize it would be so small…next time I’m totally using my Flip Cam)

Sometimes when I get excited/nervous, I do a weird dance/jig thing and I DO NOT KNOW WHY.  Sorry.

Anyways, at this point, I sat scrunched up behind Jon David’s laundry hamper and waited for him  to open the bathroom door so I could pull on the fishing line and move the mouse.

Now tell me that wasn’t worth a few bucks?  Plus, I will totally be using that mouse again in the future, trust.

He eventually came out of the bathroom, laughing.  After I promised him ice cream.

Have any ideas for Moms Behaving Badly?  I’d love to hear your best pranks so we can try them at home.  Email us at shellyandkristan@gmail.com

Hope this gave you a good laugh.  Have a fabulous day!!

Comments

Gaby says:

Your weird dance and crawling made my day! you are so funny! I would love to be in the same room with you while you prank Jon David

hahaha your little dance made me laugh so hard haha. You’re to much lol

Melissa says:

LMAO!!!!!! HILARIOUS!! I saw you do that jig/dance & I was cracking up & thinking “what a dork!!” LOVE IT!! That brightened up a pretty crappy day. Thanks!!

My hubby wants to cover our 13 yo’s door frame with the plastic wrap they have at his work (I guess it’s a tougher strong kind then just regular old glad wrap) for April Fool’s, so when he gets up in the morning, he’ll bounce right off it & we’ll have to cut it off & the good old stand by rubber band on the hose for the kitchen sink. I vetoed the plastic wrap on the toilet seat…I refuse to deal with that grossness.

Stephanie says:

That was awesome!!!!

CJ says:

HAH!!! That was awesome! My family loves playing pranks on each other, my great aunt found this life size cardboard cutout (and is convinced it looks like my little sister) so my Mom started hiding it places around the house to scare us (i.e. shower stall, closets, behind the front door). The best part is all us kids have moved out, so when we go home my Mom really gets a kick out of scaring us because we’re REALLY not expecting this smiling girl to be staring at us from inside the bathroom.

Alejandra says:

That is hysterical! I love it! I need to do more of that around my house.

Victoria R says:

I watched the second video once, then realized that I would have to turn the speakers on to get the full effect even though I was at work. Now my co-workers think I’m crazy, because I’m pretty sure they could hear me laughing even though I shut my office door! You are adorable. And the kid is pretty cute too! :-)

StephieD says:

I think my favorite part was the little evil giggle your husband let out just before John David opened the door! ;)

Patty Morgan says:

My son is grown BUT still afraid of mice so…….when we had our pizza restaurant and were cleaning up one night we told him we thought we saw a mouse. A few minutes later I screamed MOUSE and rolled a small ball aross the floor behind him. He just saw something moving from the corner of his eye and yelled and jumped UP on a table, screaming like a little girl!!!! For a guy who works out with alot of weights this was a priceless thing to see!!

Jessica says:

AWESOME! I loooove scaring my kids. I didn’t know about this blog until today and couldn’t be happier! You two ladies are my favorite bloggers :)

Rena says:

Thanks for the laugh…literally laughing out loud!!!!

Hahahaha love it!!!! I need to try this on my nephews.

Bette Jo says:

So glad to see I am not the only mom who takes pleasure in having a good laugh at my kid’s expense! One of my fave memories is still the time when I was out of wood floor cleaner and used Pledge instead. I almost peed my pants watching my boys fall and slide on their a**es when they hit the wood floors in their sock feet! I’d be lying if I said I didn’t occasionally use Pledge on the floors again just to amuse myself…..

Karyn says:

What a fun Mom! I constantly mess with my daughter. I noticed that after your second video, YouTube suggested another one of your videos – Cooking with Jon David. You two made a great pair making A B C Frittatas! That looked yummy!

Lori D says:

Too funny! We are pranksters at our house too. When my oldest son was in Jr Hi several years ago, I put on an old vampire mask from Halloween while he was showering for school in the morning I snuck into the bathroom and hit my hand on the shower curtain when he pulled it back (expecting to see his younger brother I’m sure) he screamed and then punched me in the forehead! I laughed so hard I almost wet my pants, when I took off the mask he started to cry that he was sorry he had hit me! I’d take another punch to see that all over again!

Tatiyana says:

Ummmmm…DYING! And totally plotting pranks on my unborn children! I think I might even have the boyfriend in on a few!!!

JulieD says:

That’s so funny. What’s that dance you were doing? So hilarious!

Tena says:

I have my cats toy mouse that squeaks when it’s moved. I tied fishing line to its nose and hid it between the cereal boxes, then tacked the fishing line to the door. I mentioned that i thought i had seen evidence of a mouse in the kitchen. When my daughter opened the door the mouse fell on her and squeaked. Screaming, jumping…hilarious!

Bobbi says:

Toooooo funny! I would so be right along side you doing this. My daughter would kill me in my sleep LOL but it would still be funny!!!

Sarah says:

My two year old daughter is pretty much fearless. The only thing she is afraid of is the vacuum, and more recently, monsters. She wouldn’t take a nap yesterday while I tried to clean the carpets with one of those rented cleaner things. So I told her the machine was a huge Vacuum Monster that would suck her toes off if she came out of her room while I was using it.

Then, when she woke up from her nap and carpets were still wet from having been cleaned, I told her the carpet was a swamp and she would sink and die if she stepped on it before it was dry. I felt like a bad mom, but only for a minute. Then I laughed.

colleen says:

<<>> you freakin’ crack me up! :O)

Treya says:

Oooh man I love those mice. We’re goofy like that here, and my son made me do something similar to my boss at work! I work for a preschool. While my son was attending (he was either 3 or 4 at the time), we did this whole 3-4 month curriculum on beans. Mmy boss (who is an amazing story teller) told the Jack and the Bean Stalk story to the kids without a book, lights down, etc. ALL of the kids were very into it, then we planted our own. When it came time to take them home, my son refused, saying he was afraid the giant would come down and squash us! So a few years later, we saw these fake rubber mice at walmart, and he said we had to buy them to scare my boss with, to get her back for the scary story! So I get to work, have it in my hand and say “Oh, Bug wants you to have this.” I opened my hand and she screamed and ran away! Ever after it became a game every Halloween at my work, hide a mouse and try to make each other scream. Best hiding spots of mine were the microwave, in the toilet seat cover holder thing, under a mug… and best of all… Under the handset on the phone! I knew our director would be calling and I put the mouse there so when my boss picked up the phone she’d scream into our director’s ear… Oooh yeah, I am that evil! :P

Paula Chaffin says:

I was laughing out loud and just about to pee my pants! I am one of those crazy mom’s that love to scare my kids! It’s just too easy!! They do eventually turn on you though, mine are now 27, 24, and 18 and love to get me back!!

Angie says:

You are HILARIOUS!

Holly says:

I love it!! My best friend and I have an “embarrassment” competition. We both have two pre-teen girls who are completely humiliated by our existence. So the more we can embarrass them in public, the better. We have a point scale set up to gauge the level of embarassment, and whoever gets the most points in a month has to buy drinks on mom’s night out. I once had my daughter walk out of the Halloween store we were in. BONUS 100 POINTS! Awesome!

27. 26.1
    Karen says:

You are awful!!!! Just awful!!! You are traumatizing your poor son!!! I hope your saving for therapy-he’ll need it when he’s an adult!!! My older sister used to play pranks like this on me when we were kids. I am terrified of bugs and she use to hide plastic ones in my clothes, bed, lunch box-where ever she could!! She also used to hide under my bed or in my closet and pop out when I fell asleep, scaring the______ out of me!!!

Needless to say, MOST of my life, I ‘d have to check under my bed and closet every night before I went to bed!!! My husband always laughed at me!!!! It was not until we moved out of state that this “ritual” stopped!!!
    As for the bug phobia, it only got worse!! Unfortunately as my daughter was growing up, she witnessed my
    terror with bugs and she developed this phobia too.

Bottom line, you never know how your actions/behavior affect your child, until it’s too late to undo!!!

28. Kristan says:

Or…it’s also possible that he will grow up with a tremendous sense of humor and a talent for finding fun in the most mundane of situations. Sort of like how he is now :)

1. [...] my other site, I played a prank on my kid and videotaped it.  You can CLICK  HERE if you’re interested in seeing such nonsense.  You’re [...]