Vampire Books!

Let’s face it.  Regardless of HOW you may feel about it, Vampires are in style.

I, for one, am pro Vampire.  But if I were to meet one in real life, I would probably change my mind pretty darn quickly.  You know…blood breath and fangs and all that jazz.

Anyways, in honor of Breaking Dawn’s big debut this week, I thought we’d round up some fun Vampire reads.  Seriously ladies…you can stop rereading the Twilight series–there are totally other options.

Allow me to review:

Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton

There are a lot of books in this series (I’m not even halfway in..I think it goes into the twenties…) and they’re really good.  Definitely not for kids, these are gorier, sexier, and scarier.  Anita Blake is not only a Vampire Hunter, but an animator, meaning she can raise the dead for good purposes–settling will disputes, etc.  She’s a kick butt woman with a weak spot for a certain vampire…certainly a conflict of interest considering that she’s a Vampire Hunter.  These books also feature zombies, ghouls, and a multitude of other creepers.

Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter

This book weaves a fictional tale with what we already know about Abraham Lincoln, claiming that the reasons behind his most famous actions were that he was a secret vampire slayer.  Silly at times and not the best book ever, but definitely fun and entertaining.

The Sookie Stackhouse Series

Obviously I can’t do a Vampire book post and not mention The Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood) series.  I know quite a few people who watch the HBO series but don’t read the books.  If you do the same, let me tell you that the books are A LOT different.  I find book Sookie a lot more likeable (the one on TV is just too wide eyed and innocent voiced for me) and you get to know some of the characters a lot better.

Let Me In

This was originally a Swedish book and film (Let the Right One In) and American versions were adapted in the last couple of years.  I’ve read the book and seen the movie (not the Swedish version, though) and both were pretty disturbing.  The book is definitely scarier than the movie…but don’t watch the movie unless you have a strong stomach.  I don’t–so there was a lot of face covering going on.  It’s definitely darker than typical Vampire fiction, and if horror is your thing, I highly recommend.

The Vampire Diaries Series

I’ve never read the Vampire Diaries books but I have caught a few episodes of the show and it’s really good.  Not sure how the books are in comparison, but I thought they’d be worth mentioning and are at the very least, more young adult friendly than the ones I’ve reviewed above.  Plus, the vampires on the show are Hottie McVampirehottisons, so you can picture them the whole time you read!!

See?  Totally no need for Vampire withdrawal.  And before you know it, Hunger Games will be out and there will be a whole new “he’s way too young but let’s pretend he’s not” debate to obsess over!!

Team Peeta, by the way.

What are your favorite Vampire books?

Comments

I love a good vampire book. Have you read the House of Night series? I was wondering how they were. I’ll have to check out the ones you suggested.

Ashlee says:

@Giselle, House of Night was excellent. The most recent books are kind of dragging, in my opinion. The characters are interesting and the mythology of vampires is a little different from the other vampire series. And there is always a cliff-hanger to keep you coming back. They’re actually making movies soon too! PS: I checked out your blog and you’re incredibly talented. Consider yourself with another follower :)
    My only gripe with the above list is the Vampire Diaries series. I love the tv series, but the books were so tame and boring I barely forced myself to get through the whole series (I was in my late-teens when I read them, so take that into some consideration). Plus book-Elena is so irritating. I think it’s just something with LJ Smith’s writing translating completely different from page to screen. The Secret Circle has the complete opposite effect for me (loved the book, hate the show).

Jenni says:

Murder in Vein by Sue Ann Jaffarian is a great vampire read and I’m looking forward the next in the series. Michele Bardsley has a vampire series, the first is I’m the Vampire That’s Why. It’s pretty good. However, it’s rated adult in my opinion and I wouldn’t recommend for the Twilight crowd. I’ve read all the Sookie books and watched all the episodes of True Blood. While they don’t match up and sometimes the tv storyline irks me, it is possible to love both :) I’m Team Eric all the way there!

Lindsay says:

The Vampire Diaries books are totally different than the show. I’m

Lindsay says:

Ugh. Hit enter too soon. The only similarities are the names. I LOVE the show though, Damon especially! :)

KellyR says:

I read the Vampire Diaries in middle and high school, so I prefer them over the TV show. If you like Hamilton’s Anita Blake series, check out her Merry Gentry series. It involves faeries, and it really quite good. And if you like faerie books, also check out the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. I’m so ordering Let Me In at my library today. It’s the only thing on the list I haven’t read yet!

KaitlynH says:

The House of Night Novels are super good! I love them!

I liked Meg Cabots book Insatiable. I thought it was a more “adult-like”

Sarah E. says:

Oh, how I love vampires! I have read all of the Anita Blake – you should read the Black Dagger Brotherhood books! AHHH they are amazing :) There is also the Queen Betsy series which is incredibly funny. Betsy is a shopaholic, ditsy type vampire from Minnesota.

I need to read the Vampire Diaries and the Let Me In sounds interesting.

Vampie Diaries series is crap honestly. I tried reading it and couldn’t really get into it because there are SO many differences with the show and I LOVE the show!
    I kept eyeing the vampire huntress series but never picked one up. I’ll have to remember that. My favorites so far have been Vampire Academy (awesome – seriously) and House of Night (good but not as good as VA series).

Lisa C says:

Midnight Breed Series -Lara Adrian is good 4 1/2 stars similar to BDB read up to book #5
    BDB Black Dagger Brotherhood -JR Ward Have to start many good reviews
    Night Huntress Series -Jeaniene Frost -Is Excellent!! Reading book #2 now
    Other good vampire authors
    Hamiliton, Showalter,Moning, Sparks,Harris, Neil.

amandakaye says:

I watched True Blood religiously, never missed an episode. So finally, I broke down and got the books. I must agree, the books are insanely different from the tv series, but in a good way. I also think that Sookie is more likeable in the books and the overall story line is better. I think if more people picked up on it, we could get rid of this horrible little gnat that is twilight…
    Vampires do not sparkle.
    They burn and they’re total bad asses
    Not whiny little d-bags.
    UGHH

Andie says:

hooray!! lol i’m angry that i’ve even liked twilight at all… but i did read the books very fast, and i’ve watched the movies, so i’m playing into it, right??

Amy Bickmore says:

Love the Anita Blake series and now only check out the paranormal books…my other favorite is the Real Vampire Series by Gerry Barlett….very funny with a bit of sex and romance tossed in

andrea says:

Teem Peeta as well. Josh Hutchinson has grown up so much since Bridge to Terabithia. I almost didn’t recognize him. Team Jacob on Twilight and Team Erik on TB (He had me at hot blonde Scandinavian)!! Fave vampire books are the Sookie Stackhouse books.

Cassi says:

House of night series is awesome! Also blue bloods series is decent first few books were great then the got pretty slow

SamW says:

I really enjoyed Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter too. It was pretty fun. I like the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead, the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost, and House Of Night series by P.C. & Kristin Cast that others have recommended. Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles are great too (The Vampire Lestat is my favorite!). Don’t forget Bram Stoker’s classic, Dracula, as well. I love me some vampires. ;-)

LaTisha says:

Thanks for sharing. I love Laurell Hamilton. I am going to have to check out Let Me In. Have you read the Undead series by MaryJanice Davidson, they’re campy fun!

Lisa says:

Gotta admit, Twilight is the only vamp series I’ve read. Totally loved it! I’ll have to check out the others. I’m sceptical of young adult novels sometimes, so it’s good to hear the recommendations. I can’t seem to find the t-shirt at Nordstrom. Could I get another link??

Andie says:

Here are some of my faves: KAREN MARIE MONING – Fever Series is awesome!! 5 books in all, well worth the time to read. One of my very faves. I also like Anita Blake series, but it’s getting bogged down now. I want her to hook up with Jean-Claude more often! :) J.R. Ward Brotherhood of the Blade series is great. Lara Adrian Midnight Breed series. And last, but certainly not least, Sherrilyn Kenyon Dark Hunters series. Lots of books there, and I’m an extreme fan of Acheron ;)

Meredith says:

I gotta say I really enjoyed Abe Lincoln- Vampire Hunter. Historical fiction is my love though so that’s probably why and I’m super excited to see the movie adaptation! I’ve watched TB from the beginning and I have to say that I totally agree the books are sooo much better and I kinda wish they meshed more to the series! I’m still currently hiding from the Twilight series and won’t read the books or watch the movies, lol!!

Kimmers says:

The Vampire Diaries books are different from the tv show. The tv show is way way better then the books which is unusual. Like the Twilight books better the movies are okay but I think that is due to some of the actors and actresses who are in the movies. I am so in the mood for a great book that I never want to put down, right now we have the House of Night Books, Blue Blood, and City of Bones books sitting at home that my husband read that I have yet to choose from……where do I start?!?

Nette says:

I’m totally in agreement with everyone about the Vampire Diaries books. I look back now and realize I really did have a very tough time actually getting through them. The picture of Damon in my head helped, I’m guessing – LOL!

I then found a smaller series by Amanda Hocking – My Blood Approves — http://amandahocking.blogspot.com/p/my-books.html — which I found pretty interesting and entertaining. Will definitely have to check out some more of the above-mentioned. Thanks for all the info y’all!

1. [...] like to read lots of books.  Sometimes they’re about vampires.  So I shared some of my very favorite Vampire-themed books over on That’s What She We [...]