Gift Guide — Books

One present I always love is books.  Even though I own an E Reader, there is really nothing like a brand new book with crisp pages and  new book smell.

Yes, I sniff my books.  Is that weird?

Anyways, if you’re not a reader, it can be really hard to buy gifts for someone who is.  Obviously, I recommend getting some info on what they’ve already read or own (if they’re anything like me and own a hundred books that they haven’t even opened yet…).  This can easily be done with a quick “Hey I was thinking of reading such and such, have you read it?  Is it any good?”

See how easy?

If you need a few suggestions, here are a few ideas for the reader in your life:

The Hunger Games Trilogy

The first movie based on these books comes out next Spring, and promises to be the Next Big Thing.  If you have a preteen – young adult reader in your life who hasn’t read these yet, they’d make a really great gift.

Magic Treehouse Boxed Set

It can be hard to find good books for younger kids, but these are great for beginning readers.  They’re educational and full of adventure.  The set is also under $10, so it’s super affordable.

The Complete Little House on the Prairie Boxed Set

Does it really get any better than Little House on the Prairie?  I used to LOVE these books…I wanted to be Laura so so bad.  But with a TV and stuff, obviously.  For girls 3rd grade through about 6th, this would make a really great gift that they would probably always remember.

Blue Bloods Boxed Set

If you know a teenager or adult who got into Twilight or True Blood, chances are they would like the Blue Bloods series.  It’s about wealthy vampires in New York City, and has gotten excellent reviews.  This set is also at a really great price– only $13 for 3 books.

Homemade:  The Heart and Science of Handcrafts

I own this book and it’s fabulous.  It’s hardcover, and HUGE (800 pages) and covers pretty much any craft one could hope to tackle.  It’s a pretty book with lots of illustrations and the instructions are easy to follow.

Seventeen Ultimate Guide to Style:  How to Find Your Perfect Look

I browsed this book at Books a Million a couple of weeks ago and it looked like a lot of fun for teenage girls.  It’s full of advice for young girls on how to put a unique look together, and advice on classic pieces and how to work them into your wardrobe.  A great way for young girls to start learning about fashion and buying clothes that they can wear over and over.

America’s Test Kitchen Family Cookbook–  Third Edition

For the cook in your life (experienced OR beginner) you really can’t go wrong with America’s Test Kitchen.  They test their recipes extensively, give detailed instructions, and if done correctly, the dishes come out perfect every time.  This book in particular is my favorite because it covers all basic dishes from pastas to meats, to cookies and pies.  It’s also done like a 3 ring binder so it lays flat on your counter.  Win!

Encyclopedia of Immaturity

Do you have a nephew that you have no idea what to buy for?  This book is perfect.  My son owns it and it’s so much fun.  It’s full of useless information like how to juggle, play pranks, hang a spoon off your nose, or annoy your sibling.  Tons of fun and great for rainy days.

Man Vs. Wild: Survival Techniques From The Most Dangerous Places On Earth

Does your man fancy himself a bit of a survivalist?  Even recliner survivalmen (yes, they exist) will enjoy this book from Bear Grylls.   It’s full of pictures so don’t worry if your guy isn’t much of a reader.  Lot’s of useless info (how to survive if you’re lost in the Arctic? What?!) but lots of fun for people who are into that sort of thing.

I know I’ve left about a zillion books out, but hopefully these are enough to cover most of the bases.  I’m always looking for new ideas so I’d love to know–what is your favorite book to give as a gift?

Thanks for reading and happy shopping!

Comments

Jessica C says:

I totally sniff my books too! People think I’m so weird, but I can’t help it. I love the smell of a new book!

Chase says:

I’m a book sniffer as well, except I love the way OLD books smell. I have this super old edition of Don Quixote printed in the early 1900s–it’s like you can smell the history it’s been through or something…

Alexandra says:

I love new books too and am also love the sound of the plastic covering they put on library books. Weird, I know but I still love it.

Paula Chaffin says:

I never realized how weird I was until you started pointing it out!!
    I heard that The Hunger Games is the new rage with all ages!!
    Merry Christmas

joycelyn says:

Totally smell my books too. One of my favorite smells in the world is an old library, rummaging through
    to find the perfect book. I got an ereader last holidays though so don’t buy as many hold in my hands books
    but i do buy more books now that i have it. I just bought the hunger games trilogy for all of us (me and my
    two tween boys anyway). I always recommend the janet evonavich books to anyone looking for something to
    Read. Z little bit of everything, humor, suspence, romance.

Kathleen says:

I have 2 things:
    First the book smelling thing. I order Terry Pratchett books for my daughter from Amazon.co.uk. She insists the English printed versions have a different and preferred smell. Plus the dust jackets have cooler pictures (I think) and thry spell words the english way- like colour instead of color.
    Second is because of your book list, I just ordered Encyclopedia of Immaturity for my daughters boyfriend. He is much too serious, so I thought this would be a good gift.
    Keep up the great job you do on this. I really enjoy reading your posts!! I read some of them aloud to my husband. You’re a hit.

Alison says:

Kristan – we have VERY similar book interests, I love your book picks. You should try ANYTHING by Amanda Hocking. There is a trilogy called Trylle, I think its coming out in books too, so sniff away my lady. They are SUPER! And I’m reading “My Blood Approves” by her now, SO GOOD. And its only .99 cents on iBooks. :) Love all you do!

I read the first book in the Hunger Games series and really loved it. So it’s great even for an adult, not just a preteen.

Sarah E. says:

Love this post. :) I totally sniff my books too. It’s my favorite part about picking up a book, but I’m also very anal about the condition of my books, so I love having my Kindle to tote around.

I am going to have to add Blue Blood series to my to-read list.

Andrea says:

All excellent suggestions, I think – though I’m more of an Anne of Green Gables girl than Laura Ingalls, but to each her own. And I LOVED The Hunger Games – I’m actually re-reading them now (because I work in a college library and the ONLY time they’re checked in is over breaks). I love buying books for people – especially for non-readers, because I feel like if I can get something I believe they’ll really like I may manage to convert them. One book at a time.