Beauty Must Have ~ Highlighters and Complexion Boosters

Surprisingly, I get a fair amount of emails asking what face make-up I use.  And honestly, it’s hard to give a good answer because it changes often. I have used Bare Minerals powder and Nars blush for years, but what really helps my complexion and the look of my skin is…highlighter.

I always always ALWAYS use some type of highlighter.  And while I am not opposed to looking a bit shimmery/glittery, I know that look isn’t for everyone.  So I’m going to go over a few different types of highlighter so you can choose your favorite.

Bronzer is really a must.  I know a lot of women with a pale complexion shy away from it, but they shouldn’t.  With a light hand, it gives just a hint of all over color (ever seen women with make-up on whose face is just a solid white?  Not good).

I prefer Too Faced Snow Bunny because #1 see the different colors?  You swipe your brush in a circle over all of them, and it gives a nice, dimensional pinky brown instead of just solid brown-orange AND  #2  It has a shimmer that reflects light.

Using a large brush, swipe a circle across the bronzer, then starting at your forehead, draw a number 3 on one side of your face so that the brush hits your forehead, cheek/nose, and chin.  Repeat with the other side, and do a light dusting across your neck and top of chest (so you’ll match).

If you’re someone who doesn’t mind a light bit of all over shimmer and is in a hurry when applying make-up, I recommend this bronzer.

If you’re still a bit hesitant to use bronzer, but want to achieve an all-over dewiness, I recommend this Bare Minerals Clear Radiance.  I apply this all over with a Flawless Radiance Brush (invest in one of these if you use powder AT ALL), and it gives a slight hint of color and radiance, but not a ton of shimmer.

Stila Kitten.  I am never EVER without Stila Kitten.  It’s a gorgeous, shimmery pinky/beige eyeshadow that is perfect alone, or as a base for a smoky eye.  Regardless of what eyeshadow I’m wearing, I always dab a bit of Stila Kitten around the inner corners of my eyes and under my eyebrow arch to highlight and give my eyes a brighter, more put together look.  But–you can also use your Flawless Radiance Brush (because you ARE buying one, hmmm??) to apply a bit of this eyeshadow to your cheekbones.  It’s super easy to do and gives you a beautiful complexion and radiant look.

Benefit Watts Up is a champagne colored highlighter that is in a cream stick form.  After applying it, you can use the sponge at the bottom to blend and it dries to a powdery finish.  I DO love this highlighter, but you have to have a delicate hand while applying if you’re wearing powder and don’t want to rub it off.  The color is really flattering though,  and it lasts a long time.  I always apply this to my cheekbones, and a little bit above my upper lip on my cupid’s bow.  Sounds odd, but try it!!  Makes a big difference.

If you prefer liquid make-up, you should probably try Benefit High Beam.  It’s a pretty, satiney pink color that you can apply to your cheek and brow bones OR mix a bit in with your liquid foundation for an all over glow.  I DO use this from time to time, but it is not my favorite, probably because I’m not a big liquid make-up user.  But the reviews are fab and tons of women absolutely love it, so it’s definitely worth a try.

I use Urban Decay’s Dew Me every day (*immature snicker*) after applying my make up.  It’s a make-up setting spray that not only helps your make up LAST, but also moisturizes and helps you keep a nice dewy glow.  It’s surprisingly inexpensive (compared to other Urban Decay products) and the bottle lasts a long time.  I highly recommend it.

So, there you have it!!  Those are the highlighters and complexion boosters I love the most.  Do you have a different favorite you want to share?  I’m always looking for new products to try, so let me know!!

Comments

Bronzer is a gift from heaven to women. If I leave the house in a mess, Im at least always wearing a bit of bronzer and at the very least some mascara. I’ve never seen the Too Faced Compact Bronzing Powder – - but it’s gorgeous!! Guess who’s going shopping :D

Nicole says:

My absolute must haves are Lash Primer and Lights, Camera, Lashes from Tarte, Shadow Insurance from Too Faced and the ‘Naked’ palette from Urban Decay!

Hayley says:

I love Benefit’s products and I’ve been wanting to stock up on that Watt’s Up (aren’t their names perfect?!) Thanks for this awesome run-down!!

Rachel says:

What kind of brushes do you use? I use Bare Minerals brushes and they shed something fierce!

Rachel says:

Should have said what other brushes…if any.

Kate H. says:

I love these post! Im such a makeup junkie and a sweets gal, so these blogs are the best!

megan says:

Great, fun post! I didn’t really see you mention one with no shimmer though…I will read through again. So, does anyone have a good recommendation for a pinky/brown bronzer with no shimmer? My skin is fine, but nearing the very young “4-0″ means my pores aren’t as small as they used to be and ANY shine makes them look awful…I’d love to hear of a non-shimmery bronzer (oh, and I use Bare Minerals which is THE best to me!!)

megan says:

I’ll correct that: you did a GREAT job describing each item AND you mentioned the Bare Escentials one had very little shimmer, so I’ll look into that one…I just wondered if anyone did know of a bronzer that wasn’t orangey but also has no shimmer…I’m definitely considering the Urban Decay Spray AND the Stila Kitten…did my hubby just put a spending freeze on???? I don’t think so… :)

Andrea says:

Get Stila Kitten you will LOVE it. I couldn’t figure out what the big deal was until I got a sample. I rubbed every last bit off that little card then ran to the store to buy some.

sweetsugarbelle says:

Good thing I have you, I can pretend I am cool when my makeup saavy friends come over =)

Stephanie says:

To Megan who asked for a non-shimmery bronzer- Stila makes matte bronzer in two shades.(It’s the smaller compact- they also sell a really big compact but that one is shimmery)

Stephanie says:

I used to be a makeup artist for Stila and own all their brushes (which I highly recommend especially the #21 blush brush) and pretty much every shade of eyeshadow, lip glaze and lipstick they make. Kitten is definitely the most used!

Angie R. says:

Hi Kristan! I was just curious what your skin type is.

You are speaking my language! Check out the Armani Fluid Sheer too – although pricy, I have read that it’s all kinds of amazing!

1. [...] As you know, I am a total make-up junkie, and one of  my must-have products is highlighter.  I shared some of my favorites HERE. [...]

2. [...] Make-Up Musts — Highlighters and Complexion Boosters!! You swipe your brush in a circle over all of them, and it gives a nice, dimensional pinky brown instead of just solid brown-orange AND #2 It has a shimmer that reflects light. Using a large brush, It's a gorgeous, shimmery pinky/beige eyeshadow that is perfect alone, or as a base for a smoky eye. My absolute must haves are Lash Primer and Lights, Camera, Lashes from Tarte, Shadow Insurance from Too Faced and the 'Naked' palette from Urban Decay! Reply. 3 . [...]