Monistat — Foundation Primer?

I have stated more than a few times that I am a make-up junkie.

Not just make-up, but beauty products period.  If it exists and promises to make me look better, feel better, or smell better, you can bet that I will be giving it a try.

Well.  A week or so ago, Shelly came across THIS blog post from Wedding Bee on Pinterest.  And in this post, the blogger/make-up ninja put Monistat Chafing Gel on HER FACE.

Monistat.  Face.  I am for reallio.

Once I recovered from my “Oh mah gah, did someone just say the M word no we do NOT talk about that” fit, I realized that it was CHAFING GEL.  Not…you know.  That other stuff.  And chafing gel is a gel you apply to your thighs or other areas where clothing might rub and irritate your skin.  It dries to a powdery smooth finish to protect from chafing.

Hmmm.  Never really knew that was a thing.

I immediately went to the place I always go when I want the details on a product–Amazon.com.

Apparently, tons of women use this stuff as a foundation primer.  And the main ingredient is the same as Smashbox’s best selling Photo Finish Primer, which I have used, loved, and cannot afford to use every day.

Smashbox Primer is about $30 for 1 ounce.  Monistat Chafing Gel is about $6 for 1.5 ounces.  Worth a try, yes?

And in case you’re still feeling weird about it, I gave it a test run for you.

Here it is.  Monistat Chafing Gel.  For inner thigh or bikini area.  Or face.

As you can see, it’s perfectly clear and not weird looking at all.  It actually looks and feels EXACTLY like the Smashbox stuff.  I swear it.

I rubbed a bit on the back of my hand so you can see that it’s perfectly clear and dry.  It just gives your skin a soft, kinda powdery feel.  I would have rubbed it on my bare face, but I’d rather poke my eye with a needle than post make-up less photos of myself on the internet.

I use Bare Minerals Powder, so I just put my powder on like normal after rubbing the Monistat on.  My skin isn’t model flawless, but I think it worked pretty well.  My face felt nice and my powder looked good all day.

So my verdict is that it’s a winner.  No more $30 primer for me!! I hope it works for you too.

Signed,

Your loving friend Kristan (who puts lady cream on her face and talks about it on the internet)

Comments

Erin says:

Wow I love Smashbox’s photofinish primer too but it is so expensive. Thanks so much for sharing.

Lacey says:

Haha…you are so much fun to read! :) Thanks for the tip, I ‘ll give it a try, and she’s right ladies I use that on my elbows and it works so should be okay for your face too… ;)

Alana says:

Very interesting. I splurged for some primer for the first time over the holidays and when I first put it on it reminded me of this chafing gel. We have the gel stuff in our house for the athletes in the family (that wouldn’t be me :) ) Thanks for a great post/idea.

Alana

Laughing hysterically at your sign off at the end of this post. Hmm…the Smashbox people cannot be happy about this comparison!

Please share any other “secret” tips!!!

Amy says:

Whoa. And just think, you may even prevent any other funky junk from appearing on your face.

Amy says:

I know that’s not what it’s for but I can’t help thinking about it. I’m with you it’s the name – total name association forever and ever amen.

Mego says:

Lmao, this post was hilarious, first and foremost. I laughed the whole time :):) And I will totally try this now! That is, if they even sell the stuff at the Walmart in my tiny town :) Thanks!

What a great tip and I love that you tried it out. I need lots of make up help, so I will have to try this. I came really close to buying the photo finish the other day now I’m glad I didn’t!

Kim says:

WOW, WOW, and WOW!!!! I’m never buying Smashbox’s Foundation Primer again! Thank you!!! You’re the bomb!

lauren says:

I JUST ran out of primer…. Thank you so much. I also love this stuff. I use it in the summer for my shoes, wherever I think is blister prone, or when it’s hot and sticky and your feet just don’t seem to want to slide into those heels….. it works great and so much neater and longer lasting than baby powder.

Hayley says:

More proof that girls are awesome. We can use chafing gel on OUR FACE. Suck it, boys!!

Kathy says:

I found this tip last year. It totally works! It gets so dry here in the winter and the monistat helps keep my makeup looking fresh. Love all your beauty tips.

teresa says:

Woopsie~
    I didn’t even know I needed a PRIMER.
    Must look into this~
    LOVE everything you write!
    xo

Diana says:

I saw this on Pinterest, I’m so glad you were willing to try it out for the rest of us! Maybe I’ll go try it out- I’ve never tried the Smashbox stuff because of the pricetag!

kit says:

i don’t use primer either, but do LOVE LOVE LOVE the make up… will try this quickly, as i’m certain it will shoot up in price now. hope you have a great b day!

Well I, for one, am grateful that you put lady cream on your face and talked about it on the internet. Definitely worth trying! I hate how expensive primer is…I am excited about this!

Stacy K. says:

At first I was all “WHAAAAAT?! There’s a gel for chafing, and it’s made by the va-jay-jay peoples, and you can put it on your FACE?!” Then I was all “Hmmm…..it sounds like it’s got an awesome texture…..and if I find I don’t like using it on my face, there are definitely some other areas of the bod that could use some chafing gel.” I was heading to the store anyway, so I picked some up. When I got home, I tried a little on my hand like you did. Now I’m all “Wow, this stuff feels great! I can’t wait to try it other places!” Thanks for the tip. ;-)

Kate says:

I’m SO glad you took one for the team and tried this out. I read that Weddingbee post and thought “oh em GEE I wish someone I knew was brave enough to try this before meeeeeeeee.” And voila! :)

Stephanie says:

I am totally buying this. I ran out of primer about a year ago and havent wanted to spend the $ to buy more. thanks!! And thanks for the laugh too :)

SaraJ says:

Off to Target to purchase some. Ran out of my Smashbox a couple weeks ago and hadn’t replaced it yet. I will end up spending more than I would on Smashbox at Target though. I will be forced to throw some magazines, nail polish and a least one scarf in my cart to “hide” the Monistat. :)

Another thought, perhaps I should wait until you’ve used this a week or two to make sure no giant blotches appear on your face.

Marci Johnson says:

I just wanted to thank you Kristan for the sacrifices that you make for all us in the name of science and research!!!!!

Laura says:

oh.my.goodness. I am DYING of laughter over here! Nothing like putting lady cream on your face to get a good chuckle out of your faithful readers :) But seriously… I think I’m gonna have to go get me some of that magical lady cream. For my face. Obv.

H Rhoade says:

I’ve heard of this too… I have clients who use this product underneath their Smooth Minerals powder foundations and they say it feels great. http://www.youravon.com/hrhoade

Jill says:

I’ve been doing this for a couple of years now, and love it. I buy the Smashbox stuff when I have a giftcard or a good coupon to Sephora, but in between (which is 90% of the time), I use the Monistat stuff. It’s great!

Yes! I’ve been using an Avon product for this…. yet they are always out and I have to order it. Now.. I just can run out “to the Wal-Mart” and pick some up!!

When I mentioned this beauty secret to my friends a year or so ago, they looked at me as if I were crazy. And then taunted me and teased me about how much my face would change if I used it. I ignored them and have been using it ever since, it’s amazing! Works just like normal primer and costs a lot less!!!

delilah says:

where do you find monistat?

Karin says:

Thanks so much for your review and great sense of humor! Heehee! I will be purchasing some today, luckily I work at Walmart and my shift starts soon…however, I may re-think that and check out Walgreens instead to avoid weird looks from my fellow associates. =D

WENDY says:

I saw this on another website and went out and bought it. Like you, I think it is pretty much the exact same thing as the Smashbox stuff. I bought a teenie jar at The Container Store (I could spend all day there) and pre-mixed my normal foundation (MAC) with the Monostat. I don’t know if you are suppose to pre-mix it, but that way, I have it ready and I am good to go. I mix it about 50/50..
    Great website!