Today we are lucky to have Darla from the fabulous blog Bakingdom. Darla is completely adorable, and the treats she creates on her blog are beyond creative. Have you seen this? Or this? Amazing.
Darla is also tons of fun and has a really cool and quirky style, so I was really DYING to see what she hauls around all day. Luckily, in true Darla fashion, she does not disappoint!! Let’s take a look:
Hi, I’m Darla from Bakingdom, and I’m really, really happy to be hanging out on That’s What We Said today! I love Kristan and Shelly so much, and if I ever need a laugh, I know I can always count on them.
When Kristan asked me if I wanted to participate in What’s in Your…?, I’m not even gonna lie, I was super excited. But now I have to admit, it was an eye opener.
I think I need an intervention…a “you’re not a small purse person, so stop trying to act like one” intervention.
After setting my purse up and digging everything out, I realized I shove a lot of crap in there. I am not a fan of carrying around a huge, bottomless Mary Poppins bag. I lose everything to the depths, and I can’t control my frustration at having to dive in head first to find my keys or lip balm. I usually just carry a small-ish shoulder bag, but I think it’s time to admit that I may need to upgrade.
This is currently my favorite bag; I completely adore it. As for the ear muffs, I am soooo not a hat person. Not even a little bit, so I got these fluffy pink earmuffs from the Burberry outlet two years ago, and if they’re not on my head, they’re hanging from my bag, like so. They’re the warmest ear muffs in the whole wide world, and I love them with all my heart.
As for what’s inside, pull up a chair, this could take a while.
1. A notepad and pen. I bought this months and months ago to jot down lists; grocery lists, shopping lists, gift lists, wish lists, blogging idea lists. It’s still empty. It’s not that I don’t make lists, I am the List Queen, but I just haven’t put this book to good use, yet.
2. Paint chips in shades of purple and turquoise. I bought the most fantastic little desk at a garage sale this past summer, and I’m dying to paint it a bright, beautiful color. I just can’t decide between purple or turquoise. I keep forgetting to take these out.
3. Neglected sunglasses. I’m a full-time glasses wearer, but on the rare occasion that I wear contacts instead, I get to wear these, too. I only buy inexpensive, deep discount, or generic sunglasses, because I’m about as gentle on them as a Mack truck.
4. My wallet – overstuffed with receipts, store discount cards, coupons, credit cards, bank cards, and ID cards. But, alas, no cash. I absolutely never have so much as a dollar, much to the kiddo’s and my nephews’ dismay.
5. Cute, sparkly, little hard wallet. You can usually find coupons and more credit cards in here. But mostly, I just like it cause it looks cute and sparkly.
Next up are some of my geekier things:
1. iPhone gloves with the special fingertips that let me Instagram, text, and play games, no matter how cold it is.
2. My TARDIS iPhone, which is probably the best example of how my girliness and my geekiness collide. I wanted a girly Doctor Who case, so I made myself a glittery TARDIS using scrapbook paper, glue, and a clear phone case. Best. Case. EVAH. Bonus! My text tone is the TARDIS, too.
3. Harry Potter Hogwarts bookmark. I mostly read on my nook nowadays, but on the occasion that I make a library run, this is my bookmark of choice. It tends to reside in my bag, since I pull it out of books as they’re being returned. If I ever forgot it in one, I’m sure my heart would break irreparably.
4. My keys with the ever important Starbucks card. Muy esencial.
These are all obviously super important things that I couldn’t possibly live without:
1. My little makeup bag. It’s from Burt’s Bees and has a little mirror inside and is pretty much awesome. Plus, it can hold, like 6 or 7 lip balms/glosses. Impressive.
2. Cupcake manicure kit. Speaks for itself, and it has totally saved my life on, like, 3 occasions.
3. My glittery, red Starbucks drink sleeve. It’s super cute on all of my drinks, not just Starbucks. Don’t leave home without it.
The contents of my little lip bag vary, but at the moment, there’s:
1. Burt’s Bees Pomegranate Replenishing Lip Balm – best lip balm ever created. This is actually always in there. Always.
2. Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balm in Red Dahlia – I love this stuff so much when I’m feeling blah. It adds a lovely, subtle tint of color.
3.Clinique Lipstick in A Different Grape – currently the only lipstick I wear, when I wear it at all. I’m more of a balm/gloss kinda girl.
4. Burt’s Bees Lip Shimmer in Watermelon – not shimmery. But that’s ok, cause it’s still pretty, and it’s minty, which is nice.
5. Hard Candy Glossaholic in Gorgeous – totally a “night out” gloss…full of glitter and shine. Plus, it tastes good.
The inside pocket of my purse is obviously where I keep my valuables, i.e. food:
1. Fruit Roll-Ups Simply Fruit in Wildberry. These are way better than the regular Fruit Roll-Ups, and way better for you.
2. Hard candies, because I’m apparently about 80 years old at heart.
3. An oogle. Not food, but cute anyway. This was a gift from my sister when we visited Charleston, SC last Fall. According to legend, Oogles protect you from ghosts and goblins after dark. I named mine MacDougal. I think he’s happy hanging out in my bag with all the candy.
4. Pens. Also not food. Preferably pretty. Always vital.
5. Trident Layers Gum in Peach Mango. I don’t really like this particular flavor too much, but it’s fine in a pinch. Their Pina Colada is my favorite, though.
6. Chocolate Peppermint Stick Luna bar. Yum. I always keep a Luna bar on hand for a low blood sugar emergency. Or a rushed breakfast.
7. Ghirardelli Caramel Squares. So perfect. (I actually can’t believe these were still in there, they’re usually the first to go. And, yes, I totally ate them after this picture. Don’t judge me.)
I found Lego handle bars, and a tiny, adorable race car chilling out at the bottom of my purse. These are the result of spending weeks with three boisterous, car obsessed, Lego Master nephews.
After all that, I can no longer deny the cold, hard truth that it’s probably time to either carry less crap around with me, or upsize. The bright side? I get a new bag! Any recommendations?