July Reading List!!

I’ve finished reading the books on the June Reading List, with the exception of Summerland, which released late in the month.  While I get my reviews in order, I thought I’d post my choices for July for those of you who need to get started on something new.

Three books didn’t end up being enough for me.  I am a fast reader and read a lot before bed, so I decided to choose a few more for this month.  If it’s too many, just pick the ones that sound best to you…they all have excellent reviews.

I am a huge fan of Leila Meacham’s book Roses, so I have high hopes for TumbleweedsTumbleweeds is the story of a girl named Cathy, who at 11 years old, has to move from California to small town Kersey, Texas to live with her grandmother when her parents die in a car accident.  She is quickly taken under “protection” by the two town golden boys, football heroes, and “leaders of the 6th grade”.  Through their high school and adult years, they suffer love, loss, and tragedy that tears them apart.  This book promises lots of plot twists, so I can’t wait to get started!!

The Story of Beautiful Girl is a book that takes place in 1968.  A young white woman and a deaf black man are locked away in an institution for the feeble minded, and forgotten.  Deeply in love, they manage to escape and one rainy night, come across the home of a retired teacher and widow named Martha.  The authorities catch up with them, but not before the couple entrusts their newly born baby to Martha’s care.  The book documents the next 40 years of their lives, their journey, and how they are forever bound together by their shared secret.

Gold by Chris Cleave (author of Little Bee), has received a lot of advance praise, so I hope it lives up to the hype.  Gold documents the life of two friends and track cyclists, Kate and Zoe, their journey to the 2012 Olympics, and how their personal lives and friendship are threatened as the big race draws closer.

What the Nanny Saw starts in the Summer of 2008.  Nick and Bryony Skinner live a life of privilege with their four kids until they find themselves at the center of a financial scandal.  Nick disappears, Bryony and the kids are prisoners in their own home, and the nanny sees it all first hand.  When approached by a reporter for the inside scoop, will the nanny remain loyal or tell her side?  I doubt this book contains any life changing lessons, but it seems like a fun, light, beach read.

Dare Me tells the story of lifelong friends and cheerleaders Addy Hanion and Beth Cassidy.  When a new coach changes the rules and a suspicious suicide hits close to home, Addy begins to suspect what really happened and where her loyalty lies.  This book sounds frivolous, but also intense and suspenseful.  I’m looking forward to it’s release!!

Again, I will be reading and reviewing these in the order listed.  I’d love you to read along and share your thoughts!!

Comments

Maria says:

I haven’t read a book since Caleb was born. I really need to get back in the habit. I miss reading! Great picks!

Ruthanne says:

Oooh! I loved Roses. I’ll have to try out this new one. Thanks!

Diana says:

My mother and I both LOVED Roses… I didn’t realize another book was out. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Jane says:

I read The Story of Beautiful Girl when it was released in hardcover – I loved it so much and I hope you do as well! And I picked up Gold from a friend in the UK and it was great! Nothing like his last two books, but still, so so good.

Dare Me sounds like a good summer beachy read!

Enjoy the reading!

Kristen says:

I know better than to come over here when you have books up – my reading list gets longer and longer!

I love your reading lists…I hadn’t heard of any of these.

I’ve been obsessed with Joshilyn Jackson’s books this summer. I think I’ve read 4 of them. :)

Marie Conroy says:

Here’s my summer reading suggestion: Heartburn by Nora Ephron. (Kristan — how’s your heartburn?) It’s love, marriage and infidelity — with recipes. It’s short, it’s funny, it’s smart, it’s Nora at her best. You can get a cheap second-hand copy, smear suntan lotion over it, then chuck it.

Marie Conroy says:

I just checked Amazon and you can get it on Kindle (I have a Kindle app on my PC) for $9.99. It was made into a film with Jack Nicholson and Meryl Streep. READ THE BOOK FIRST. Please. The movie misses that voice inside her head and much of the wit.

Beth says:

I read Girl Gone at your suggestion and enjoyed how different it was from most mysteries. I wish I’d paid more attention to her chapters so that I didn’t have to go back and re-read some of them. This was a well thought out book as it was written. I’d love to hear what you thought of it. I have a few more opinions, but don’t want to put out any spoilers.

1. [...] sure to check out the rest of my July recommendations too.  Happy reading!! If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to [...]

2. [...] of Mrs. Tom Thumb and Summerland were the last two on the list.  I’m already well into the July Reading List, so I’m going to combine these two into one post so I can get started on this month’s [...]