Eyebrows!!

Today we are going to talk about what is probably the most boring and overlooked part of your face.

Okay…BESIDES your chin.

Your EYEBROWS!!

For years and years, I didn’t groom my eyebrows.

Honestly, I thought that eyebrow grooming was for people who were super hairy and had unibrows or whatever, but a couple of years ago I saw the light and was forever changed.

And my goal here today is to bring you on board.

Like the hair on your head, your eyebrows are hair.  Hair that can change the look of your face depending on how it’s shaped.  If it’s shaped badly, you can look a straight hot mess, but done correctly, it gives you a cleaner and more refined look, and helps you look more “done up” even on days you’re not wearing make up.

I have always been a bit intimidated by plucking my own brows.  I have no idea what shape I need to achieve, and I’m terrified of over plucking.  Have you ever seen people who have over plucked?  It’s skeery, y’all.

Can you really look at this face and tell me that brows don’t matter?

I go to a place once a month that specializes in eyebrows.  For $25, they tint, wax, pluck, and trim my brows into a nice shape for my face.  If you can find a reputable salon near you that does this, give it a try!!  I’m in and out in 20 minutes and look great all month.  I’ve seen too many people get a botched wax for $5 at their manicure place, and it usually isn’t a good look.

Of course, I have to maintain my brows in between visits by filling in spots with a brow pencil, which takes all of about 3 minutes.

I recently had my brows done, and took some before and after photos for comparison.  The first set is before shaping and without brow pencil applied:

Just glancing at those two photos, you would think that my eyebrows really didn’t need any maintenance at all.  They aren’t super hairy, the shape is fine, and they’re not too thin either.

But sometimes, it’s not about how BAD something looks…it’s about how much BETTER it COULD look:

These photos are after having my brows waxed, trimmed, and filled in with eyebrow pencil.

There is no denying that they definitely look “cleaner” and as a whole, it makes my face look a lot more done and put together.

Here’s a side by side comparison:

My go-to brow pencil is a taupe pencil by Glo Minerals:

It’s inexpensive, lasts a really long time, and has a brush on the end that is great for blending.  I have my hair colored and it’s usually light blonde in the Spring/Summer and dark blonde in the Fall/Winter, and this shade looks good no matter what.  I think it would look great for light brown to medium brown hair too.

Just use this pencil to refine the shape of your brows and fill in any sparse spots.  You want your brows to look clean and even, but not drawn on, so be sure to use a light hand and BLEND.

If having your brows done isn’t in your budget (or if a brow pencil is a little too intimidating just yet), there are lots of kits and stencils out there to help you find the right shape and get it on your own!!

This brow kit from Anastasia is really popular and has everything you need for put together brows and eyes.

It includes shimmer eye shadow, brow stencils in 5 different shapes, brow powder for blondes and brunettes, and brow wax, for keeping your brows in place.

Just choose a stencil, hold it over your eyebrow, fill in with powder, and pluck any hairs outside of the shape you created.  The shimmery shadow is great for highlighting a pretty brow arch.

This set is a little pricey though, so if you’re in the market for something cheaper:

These e.l.f. eyebrow stencils are a fraction of the cost.  Just buy your own brow powder (or pencil) and use any pinkish beige shimmer shadow to highlight your gorgeous new brow arch.

Do you groom your brows and if so, what products do you use?  I’d love to hear your thoughts!!

Comments

Carrie says:

UGH! I don’t do anything with my brows except make sure their tidy when I do my make up. Now I’m feeling so….unkept! lol So, off to find someone who specializes in eye brows :)

I totally agree with you! I used to never even consider my eyebrows, and my teenage pictures prove it :( ugh, so much undergrowth and stray hairs that just looked… messy. Finally, I got them waxed and was able to follow and maintain the shape they gave me. I should invest in an eyebrow pencil, but sometimes if I really want to look pulled together, I’ll just use a light mist of hairspray on a Q-Tip and run it over my brows. It kind of “seals” them in place so they look more shapely and defined. And in a pinch, matte eyeshadow works too!

Renee says:

My cousin waxes mine, but I never thought about filling them in with pencil. Seeing your “put together” brows makes me want to start!

Marie M.C. says:

Eyebrows. Oy. I never get them right. Drives me crazy. I strive for a modified Audrey Hepburn — like in Breakfast at Tiffany’s — only SMALLER. The problem is my left brow ALWAYS looks thinner then my right. When I look in the mirror they look fine. I do use a pencil (from Walgreens) which works fine. Then I’ll use a brow powder. But when I look at a photograph of myself the left one doesn’t match up. Weird. I forgot about going to an expert — maybe at the make-up counter at Sephora?

Elizabeth says:

Forget your eyebrows (thought they look lovely) you have no lines or wrinkles!! Your skin looks so pretty.

Sonya says:

I love that you put Ernie’s photo up, too funny!……..your eyebrows look amazing wax or not wax!

Megan says:

You know, in most of those pictures, I much prefer the “before”! I guess I’ll stick to my strategy of just plucking the strays occasionally.

I *just* bought the Anastasia brow pencil a few weeks ago and love it. I still need to go to a salon to have them “done,” but I’m scared. ;)

Donna says:

Love the Anastasia kit. I like the fact that there is a choice of dark and light brown in the kit. Even though it is pricy, it lasts a very long time.

Emily says:

Kristan!! I can’t even begin to tell you how excited I am that you brought this SUPER important issue to the people. I’m a tad bit obsessive about eyebrows…. as in I might slightly judge you if you have terrible eyebrows. For instance… When my girlfriends and I went to see Twilight’s New Moon, all I could think about everytime Dakota Fanning came on screen was how much homegirl needed to mee my eyebrow girl. Mine are dark so I don’t have to fill them in but I do get them waxed every 8 weeks… In fact I’m overdue and thankfully have an appointment early next week.

I am a redhead with almost invisible eyebrows, so I dont pluck or groom them, but I use Bobbi Browns “Wheat” eyeshadow do darken them ever so slightly, shaping them as I do

Emma says:

I love your ladies eyebrows but I’m more interested in your eyeshadow. What brand is it and in what color? Thanks!

Teresa says:

My eyebrows are almost invisible. I have strawberry blond hair. I do have eyebrows but you just can’t see them. I use an ULTA pencil to fill them in but I never know how to shape them and I am afraid they look drawn on. I tried stencils many years ago but they ended up looking fake. Perhaps the ones made now are better. When I have the funds I go and have them waxed and tinted. I recently moved and have no idea who to go to now. Plus I just do not have the funds now. I have been spending my extra money on nail polish and nail art supplies. (my new obsession). I do realize eyebrows are important. I try to fill them in even when I am not wearing makeup. It makes a big difference. If anyone knows of a good place to go to get my eyebrows done I would appreciate it. I live in Arvada, Colorado. Sorry for the long comment but this is a very good article for me. Thank you so much!!

Ginger says:

Hey Teresa,

You might try a cosmetology school in your area. Ft. Collins has several schools with discounted services. Generally speaking, they do a good job. You do have to be careful and ask a lot of questions because, don’t forget, they ARE students.Make sure you know what they are doing – they are learning while they go and you DON’T want to be their “what not-to-do experience.” They are supervised by their instructors so generally, things turn out great.

Amelia says:

I love the idea of using the stencil. I am obsessed with tweezing my brows.
    In my opinion, the most important tool you can use is a good set of Tweezers. I have thick, course eye brow hairs, and when they grow in they cause a nice black dot above my eyes. Removing it immediately is essential. The only good set of tweezers I’ve found is TWEEZERMAN professional tweezers. They can literally grab every hair!
    From there all of the tricks above are really helpful.
    Here is my obsession: http://www.ameliasgirlfriends.com/2012/11/its-bird-its-plane-its-tweezerman.html