DIY Hair Ties

So I go through hair ties like nobody’s business.

I lose them, I get them tangled, they break…

It’s a  never ending battle.

I usually use cheap tangle-free elastics.  But then I came across these Emi-Jay bands last year…and I love them!  BUT they are a bit pricey…

So today when I was at the craft store I came across this…

It’s special elastic made to make headbands.  The brand is “Fashion Ala Carte”.  I couldn’t find it online anywhere but at Michaels.

But I noticed that it was the same looking material as the Emi-Jay ties that I love.

So I threw down $2.99 and bought a pack.  Every “spool” comes with 60 inches of elastic.

I cut the elastic 6 inches long…

Which translates into 10 hair ties for $2.99…which beats the 5 for $11.99 that I was spending.

Just a simple knot at the end and voila!

They had a few different colors, so the choice is yours.

Totally simple and totally cheap!

Love that!

Comments

Hannah says:

Awsome! Do you think fold over elastic (looks the same…) would work?

amanda says:

I got a sample hairtie like this in last month’s birchbox (different brand), but it wasn’t “long” enough to go around my hair enough times to keep it back. Thanks so much!

SherriC says:

Which craft store did you find the elastic and in which department? I’m an Emi-Jay fan too and would love to make my own! These would also make a great gift!

Kirsten L says:

This is actually fold over elastic! A lot of fabric stores carry this in their diaper making supplies in cute colors and prints. JoAnns should have some with the Babyville boutique items :)

Sonya says:

Thanks for the DIY! I just bought these this morning online. I love to make some more because I have hair ties everywhere.

Candy says:

Awesome idea!! Thanks for the tip! I’ll be heading to Michael’s pronto!!

Ashley says:

Ok…so I went to Joann’s, Michael’s and Wal-Mart and no luck finding them…Any other suggestions?

Shelly says:

I read the comment from “Kirsten” above (comment #4) and she said that she sees this type of elastic in the “diaper making” supplies!
      When I found them it at Michaels it was in a section with the the beads and things like that.

Sharon says:

Hi, just finished making these tonight. Great idea! Once I had them tied, I cut the ends on an angle and singed the edge to prevent them from fraying. I have three daughters and these are a hit!

Amber says:

These are so awesome! I saw them on Etsy and for the life of me couldn’t figure out what they were making them out of! Thanks so much for sharing! I’ve seen this special elastic at my local Walmart with the stuff to make little girl’s headbands, but I didn’t know what the heck it was or what I would do with it, so I never bought it lol. Now I think I’ll pick me some up to make me some hair bands too!

erin says:

Also, check out hobovian.com for cheap trim and fast shipping! over 50 colors!! also, to stop the fraying you can just hold a lighter up to the edge and to melt them, it works great! (don’t let the flame touch the elastic or it will burn) i just bought some from them and when I mentioned that I found them on Pinterest they gave me 5 free yards for mentioning where I found them!

Below are really the 5 important aspects
    you should think about in choosing:
    Initial thing is first, exactly how much are an individual ready to cover
    the vacation abroad? When you are planning
    a vacation, the very most important considerations is
    probably the budget. The doorway to doorway provider
    is very convenient and also dependable, especially for anyone that have concerns
    and/or will not speak any sort of Spanish. The Marina Bay Sands Conference Centre offers
    general public areas for rent, and is ideal for trade shows, banquet
    features, and even training activities and additionally
    seminars.

GM – Tennessee and Kentucky

Steph says:

Here is a cool shop that add beads to the traditional elastic hair tie — https://www.etsy.com/shop/HuggaTies

Also, when end consumers do not have to shell out any kind of time
    discovering your software immediately after which building their particular reports,
    the couple have more time for you use in their primary assignment functions.