Dry Shampoos — Tested!!

For over ten years, I had short hair.

We’re talking chin length.

I loved my short hair and I felt like it suited me…the only BAD thing about it was that there was no throwing it in a bun or ponytail.  It had to be washed, dried, and straightened daily, or it looked like a hot, sticking up mess.

About a year and a half ago, I decided to grow my hair out.  It’s the first time since I was a teenager that I’ve let it get past my shoulders, and one thing I discovered is that I love being able to do things with it — curling it, sock buns, sides up…and pony tails!! Another thing I realized was that I don’t have to wash it every day, which is a huge time saver on busy mornings (and I’m sure will continue to come in handy with the new baby).

The only problem?  I hate feeling like my hair is dirty.  I’ve been hearing about dry shampoos for awhile, but have been skeptical…so I finally decided to put them to the test and see if dry shampoo is something I want to incorporate into my routine.

The verdict?

I love it!!  Of course, I didn’t love ALL of the ones I tried, so we are going to go over that.  I tried six dry shampoos of all price ranges.  Of course, there are many more I haven’t tried, but I feel like these are a good representative of what is out there.

Oscar Blandi Pronto

I had high hopes for this one.  It’s listed as one of the best and was an Allure magazine top choice.  However — I hated that it was a powder.  The powder was hard to blend into my hair…I had to brush and brush to keep my roots from being white.  The smell was nice and fresh, but a little too lemony for me.  It almost reminded me of hand soap or household cleaner.

Price:  about $20 for 2.5 oz

End Result:  I’d use it in a pinch, but I definitely wouldn’t spend my money on it again.

Got 2b Rockin’ It Dry Shampoo

This one wasn’t bad.  The smell was a tad pefumey for me, but it wasn’t anything I couldn’t deal with.  The thing I liked the least was how it sprayed out — it’s an aerosol, which I loved, but it shot out super concentrated and strong, so it was hard to get an even mist.  I kind of felt like I was just able to hit “spots” instead of evenly spraying it along my roots.

Price:  about $6 for 4.3 oz

End Result:  This is a great option if you’re looking for something inexpensive to just freshen you up a little

Bamboo Style Cleanse Extend Translucent Dry Shampoo

This one came highly rated on Sephora, and I really liked it.  It’s a light aerosol spray with a clean scent, and it didn’t give my roots a weighted down or super dry feeling.  It was easy to spray out and mist all over my roots.

Price:  About $20 for 4.75 oz

End Result:  Definitely one of my favorites.  I’ll use the bottle until it’s empty for sure.

TRESemme Fresh Start

I really didn’t like this one.  I’ve heard it’s a great inexpensive option, but it’s a spritz, not aerosol, which I didn’t care for.  It left my roots a little damp at first, and the smell was just so so.

Cost:  around $5 for 4 oz

End results:  I won’t be using, even in a pinch

Rockaholic Dirty Secret

I really really liked this one too.  It smells great, goes on clear, and gave my hair a fresh smell that wasn’t over powering.  It is just a little dry feeling, but overall, I think it’s great.

Price:  $15 – 20 for 6.3 oz

End result:  I’d definitely recommend, but for $20 it’s not my absolute favorite.  If you can catch it on sale, grab a can.

Kenra Platnum Refresh and Revive

My hairdresser got me hooked on the Kenra line a couple of years ago — I use the Blow Dry Spray and Volume Hair Spray religiously.  I was excited to try their dry shampoo and see if I loved it as much as their other products.  And I did!!  It has a light tropical scent instead of smelling perfumey or flowery, and went on evenly and without being overly dry.

Cost:  Around $20 for 5 oz

End Result:  My favorite of all I tried.  I will continue using this — it made my hair look and smell great.

A few tips:

I have hair with JUST enough wave that it gets a bit frizzy and tends to look wrinkled if slept on.  I found that skipping a wash looked best on days where I straightened my hair with the Chi iron the day before.

I heard a tip that your hair has more volume if you spray it with dry shampoo before bed instead of in the morning.  I liked the way my hair looked and felt after sleeping with it in, but still liked to give it a quick spray in the morning to freshen up.

Even if I’m not washing my hair, I shower every morning.  A good shower cap is a real lifesaver — it keeps your hair nice and dry so you can wash up without getting it damp.  I own this adorable shower cap and love it.  It’s large enough to hold long hair, and is mold resistant.  I just keep it rolled up in a cup that sits in my bathroom and get it out when I need it.

So there you have it — feel free to skip a wash and hold your head high!!  I’d love to hear your thoughts and if I skipped one of your favorites!

–Kristan

Comments

I’ve tried a bunch and my favorite happens to be Dove, and it’s also the cheapest!

Angie says:

I”ve tried several also and my favorite is Suave Professionals. I even use it on my clean hair to give it volume.

Missy says:

I try to wash my hair only twice a week. My hair is almost to my waist and it takes 30 minutes to wash and condition. I can leave it down the day I wash it and maybe the second day if I had used the straightening iron the day before. The third and second day I usually wear my hair up so it is not noticeable. To be honest, I wear my hair up most of the time just to keep it out of my face! LOL If I have lots of stuff planned and want it to look nice, I’ll wash every other day – which is not often.

Christy G says:

I use the Oscar Blondi on my 9 year old’s hair. She’s half Indian (the cute, sweet half) and her hair is very black and very thick and I still LOVE it. I found the sprays much, much harder to comb in.

Nikki says:

I’m an Oscar Blandi girl too. I’ve tried the aerosols and I just don’t think they hide the greasy look for me. The powders just work for my kind of hair (Black- thin hairs, but lots of it). I’ve never had a problem with combing through it- I actually use a comb, not a brush. I haven’t had residue, just the occasional powder on my face to brush off.

Karen Irwin says:

Tresemme makes an aerosol dry shampoo also! I use it & like it a lot & it’s cheap! I agree it works well when you spray it on at night before bed!

I use the Tresemme aerosol and I like it. It turns my hair gray at the roots while it drys, but once I brush it out, it’s fine. Just don’t go overboard or you will have a hard time getting the “gray” out.

Jimi says:

I haven’t used any but would love to know if anyone’s tried Redkin’s dry shampoo. I need to get on this bandwagon!

Love this! I’ve been wondering about these, but was too unsure to pull the trigger. Did I miss you mentioning where you can buy your favorites? Like the Kenra brand one?

Micah says:

Sooooo…not like you haven’t tried enough already, but if you ever get the itch to try one more I have Batiste from Ulta and loooove it!! Not mention it’s inexpensive!

I love when a hair product smells great. I just picked up a bottle of dry shampoo before the storm, knowing we’d be without power for at least a day or much more. I forget the brand… don’t totally love or hate it but it’ll do in a pinch.

Lexy says:

I use the tressime aerosol as well it’s great

Heather Wright says:

I have naturally curly hair, meaning if it is not gelled and washed everday it is naturally FRIZZY…why would i use dry shampoo? I feel stupid but I just dont get it….I only blow dry my bangs and NEVER flat iron, simply because I dont put that kind of time into myself.lol

mrsblocko says:

I also use suave. its the only brand ive tried but it works great. Hubby loves the smell too so that is an added bonus.

Holly says:

I also use the Suave Dry shampoo and love it! If your ever in a pinch and out of dry shampoo, my sister in-law that is a hair dresser suggest using baby powder, it takes a small amount in the palm of your hand, rub your hands together and then run your hands through your hair, this also work pretty good.

I use this one:

and love it! It’s only $7.59 at Sally’s Beauty Supply! It seems similar to the Rockstar one, but I haven’t tried it, so who knows! I usually only wash my hair every 3 days. The first day, I wash it at night and let it air dry, the next day, I get up and don’t need any dry-shampoo since I just washed it the night before. The next day, I use it and pull my hair half up and the third day, I use it and usually wear my hair in a pony tail, then wash it that night and start the cycle again! :)

It’s funny that you said the thing about still taking a shower… I used to read about all these people who only washed their hair every 4 days and would always think that meant that they didn’t take a shower for 4 days!! LOL! Finally one day I was like “DUH!! I can still take a shower without washing my hair!!!” I do need to get a shower cap, though. I never thought about that! :)

Nikki Kelly says:

I work at a Toni&Guy salon (the creators of all the TIGI products) and was curious to see how you rated Dirty Secret. I’m happy to see that you liked it, and after reading your reviews thought I might suggest another TIGI dry shampoo from the Catwalk line. It has a lovely soft smell to it (my clients comment on this smell all the time) and it has half the powder Dirty Secret does. I like it a lot better because I have dark hair and noticed that dusty look when I used Dirty Secret, but with the Catwalk dry shampoo I rarely experienced it. Oh, and another oil fighting tip for you is Salt Spray. I use it as a volumizer and notice less oil on the second day. I’m not completely oil free, but I feel like I need a lot less dry shampoo.

Nikki Kelly @ the ambitious procrastinator

Julia says:

I LOVE shower caps. Everytime we stay at a hotel, I ask for a few extra, and they are always very happy to give them to me. My in-laws travel a lot also and they always bring me some back from their trips! (some people want souvenirs…) I’m going to have to try some of these. I remember when the only one you could get was “Psssssssst”…anyone remember that one?

Karen says:

I used to use Psssst when I was, well, um, younger. And in a pinch, we’d use baby powder. There were dry shampoos that hospitals used, too. I used to camp and cross country backpack a lot and liked having dry shampoo along (I know, guilty pleasure). I had no idea that dry shampoos were back and with such a wide variety. Both of my daughters have waist length hair and I’m sure would love an alternative to daily washing. I’m so going to try some of the ones you suggested. Thank you for taking the time to test them and write the review!

Kerry says:

I’ve bought the Suave dry shampoo and love it. Can’t beat the 2.99 price tag either. I’m on my second can and I’m addicted.

val says:

Tresemme makes an actual dry shampoo that is aerosol. It works okay on my hair. My favorite that I have found is Pssssst! brand. I can only find it at Ulta. I love that they also make it in a travel size!!

Hey administrator, I just wanted to give you
    a brief heads up that your current Website address: http://thatswhatwesaid.
    net/2012/10/dry-shampoos-tested/ is being flagged as a possibly harmful web page in my internet browser ie.
    I would highly recommend having somebody look into it.

You can easily lose a lot of readers due to this kind of issue.

Best of Luck.

dildo says:

I hardly comment, however after browsing through a great deal
    of comments on this page Dry Shampoo Reviews!!
    . I actually do have some questions for you
    if you don’t mind. Could it be only me or does it look like some of these remarks look as if they are coming from brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are posting on additional online sites, I’d like to keep up with anything fresh you have to
    post. Would you make a list of all of all your social sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or
    linkedin profile?

Mandy says:

Hi there! This post could not be written any better!
    Reading through this post reminds me of my
    good old room mate! He always kept chatting about
    this. I will forward this page to him. Pretty sure he will have a
    good read. Thank you for sharing!

Luciana says:

Hi there your web-site url: http://thatswhatwesaid.
    net/2012/10/dry-shampoos-tested/ seems to be redirecting to a completely different site when I click the home page link.

You may want to have this looked at.

Walter says:

Amazing blog! Is your theme custom made or did you
    download it from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few
    simple tweeks would really make my blog shine. Please let me
    know where you got your design. Kudos

Derek says:

Howdy, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam responses?
    If so how do you protect against it, any plugin or anything you can suggest?
    I get so much lately it’s driving me insane so any support is very much appreciated.

Hiya, i am a blogger same as you, and was curious if
    you ever experimented with those addthis.

com like this buttons and if they will be any good.
    I recognized they will load a pile of code, so i’m uncertain if its really worth adding them, due the quite a lot increase of KB of the total filesize. Have you ever give it a shot? I am very interested to hear what you think about that? If you have some spare time sent me a message to emmanuel-tierney@gmail.com if you have any experience with those addons. Thx .. btw, luv the site ever since!

Hmm it appears like your site ate my first comment (it
    was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.

I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to everything. Do you have any points for newbie blog writers? I’d genuinely appreciate it.

Gabriele says:

I am curious which blogging and site-building platform you might be running?

I’m new to blogging and have been thinking about using the Quizilla platform. Do you think this is a good platform to start with? I would be really grateful if I could ask you some questions through email so I can learn a somewhat more prior to getting started. When you have some free time, please be sure to get in touch with me at: gabrielelevesque@gmail.com. Thanks a lot

Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an very long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again.
    Anyway, just wanted to say fantastic blog!

Alte Frauen says:

Hi there! This is the fourth time visiting now and I really
    just wanted to say I truley get pleasure from
    reading through your site. I have decided to bookmark it at stumbleupon.com with the title: Dry Shampoo Reviews!!
    and your URL: http://thatswhatwesaid.net/2012/10/dry-shampoos-tested/. I hope this is alright
    with you, I’m making an attempt to give your terrific blog a bit more coverage. Be back soon.

Kymberly says:

Based on this blog I tried Bamboo Cleanse Extend. I had been using another dry shampoo product that was just okay. I love Bamboo Cleanse Extend – the name alone is awesome! My hair has some blow drying/straightening and daily washing damage. Bamboo Cleanse Extend is helping me repair my hair but not over washing/drying it! Thank you!

Burma Sester says:

Wonderful work! This is the kind of info that should be shared across the net. Shame on the seek engines|Google} for now not positioning this publish upper! Come on over and seek advice from my website . Thanks =)

terry wright says:

I have tried many dry powder shampoo’s i recently found one that is so amazing it’s by MAK hair products called Stegno. It’s awesome !!! It has some kind of fixture in it so besides giving me extra extra body it has hold power. This is by far the best i have used. I order on line, check it out for yourself

Kim says:

Want the cheapest option that works great? Baby powder! Sprinkle a little on, blowdry it through, wipe any left on your scalp off with a washcloth, you’re good to go!!!

Hanna says:

I highly recommend the pro naturals shampoo since it is sulfate-free!

Nikki says:

Try using KMS California makeover spray or Paul Mitchell dry shampoo. I love them both and am an actual stylist. I have very fine hair and can get away with washing once every 4 days with these two and they’re not heavy feeling or too gritty.

What’s Happening i am new tо this, I stumbled upon this I’ve
    discovered It absolutely useful and it has helped me out loaԁs.
    Ӏ am hoping to contribute & help οther users like itts helped
    me. Good job.

1. This Week!! says:

[...] sharing reviews on Dry Shampoo (my new favorite beauty product!!) on That’s What We [...]