Must Have Skin Care Products!!

I’ve always taken it for granted that every woman knows how to take care of her skin and apply make up.

But then lately, I’ve noticed that I get a lot of comments from women saying, “I have no idea how to put make up on”.

This is a travesty that I need to remedy.  I’m making it my mission in life.

I mean…not wanting to wear it is fine, but I want every woman in the land to at LEAST have the option.

The thing about make up though…is it’s a lot easier if you have a good canvas to work on.  So before I do a post on make up basics and how/where to apply them, let’s go over skin care.

If you’re over the age of 30 and haven’t developed a decent skin care routine, we need to talk.  It’s important.  I mean…you only get one face in this life.

Spanx and flowy tops will cover any lumps or imperfections on your body…but nothin’ is covering up yo face.  So let’s talk about it!!

If you do nothing else, there are three products that you need to invest in, and have stocked at all times.

ALLLLLLLL  TIMES!!

• A cleanser/make – up remover — there are lots of combo products that do both, which makes life simpler.  NEVER go to bed with make up on!!  You should be removing and washing EVERY NIGHT.
  • An exfoliator — Keeps you bright and helps keep the pores from clogging too badly.  You don’t want a ton of nasty dead skin on your face.  Exfoliate your face in the shower, it’s the easiest way.
  • A good moisturizer — You should apply this every night after removing make up and cleansing, and again in the morning before applying make up.  Moisturizer keeps your skin plump and hydrated and holds the wrinkles at bay.  Do this religiously.

There are tons of different products out there…honestly it can get a bit intimidating.  I’ve tried a bunch in all price ranges, and here are the ones I’ve ended up loving, and use every day:

Say Yes to Cucumbers Soothing Facial Towelettes:

These wipes feel and smell great, and do double duty–cleansing AND removing make up.  I love these because you can just wipe and be done.  No water splashing about, no make up stained towels.  These are great for using at night before bed.

Purity:

With that being said, I do love having a liquid facial cleanser to keep in the shower.  I always wake up with rings of eyeliner that I missed around my eyes, so I do another face wash when I take my morning shower.  This is another make up remover/cleanser combo, so it’s also handy if I run out of my cucumber wipes.

Cetaphil:

If you’re looking for a less expensive option, you can’t go wrong with Cetaphil cleanser.  It’s not a make – up remover though…but you CAN remove make up with cotton balls and baby oil.  It’s cheap and effective!!

Hope in a Jar for Dry Skin:

I love this version SO much more than the regular Hope in a Jar.  It’s WAY creamier and richer, so I only need a small dab, which means that it lasts longer.  Also…it has SPF in it, which is a nice bonus.  I apply this every night before bed and in the morning before make up.  I’m never without it!!

Pond’s Dry Skin Cream:

If you want a cheaper option, you can’t go wrong with Pond’s.  It’s rich and feels great on your face.  The only downside is that it doesn’t have SPF, so if you’re not wearing make up with SPF in it, you may want to mix a bit of sunscreen in your moisturizer before applying.  Sunscreen on your face is important, even in the Fall and Winter months.

Clarisonic:

I use this as my daily exfoliator.  I keep it in the shower, and use it with my Philosophy Purity cleanser, so I cleanse and exfoliate in one step.  The Clarisonics ARE pricey though, so if it’s out of your budget, there are cheaper options at the drugstore or Walmart, Target, etc.  This also makes a GREAT Christmas gift!!

Cleansing, exfoliating, and moisturizing are musts, but there are always a few extras that will give you a boost.  Here are the “extras” I use:

Dr. Jart Water – Max Sleeping Mask:

This is a mask you apply before bed over your moisturizer.  It’s lightweight and works to trap in moisture while you sleep — and I LOVE it!!  I use this every single night.  It’s not cheap, but it lasts a long time.  I bought mine at the beginning of September and am still using it.

Origins Clear Improvement Charcoal Mask:

This mask is GREAT for clearing out your pores and leaves your skin super smooth.  I use it one night a week.

If you’re not doing the bare necessities for your skin DAILY, please start!!  It really does make a difference in how you look, feel, and how good your make up will look once you apply it.

Do you have a skin care ritual?  What are your must have products?

Comments

Erin says:

I go to bed with makeup on all the time, I really need to stop!! I will have to find those wipes. Maybe they will help encourage me… I will be looking forward to an eyeliner how to, I keep trying but I can’t seem to get it at all!

Megan says:

I just bought the pro-x from olay this past week. I just couldn’t justify buying a clarisonic as much as I wanted one. Anyway! I’ve never, ever had breakouts as a teenager and now I have ridiculous adult acne, it’s bad bad bad especially near the apples of my cheeks. After using the exfoliator my cheeks have cleared completely up and my face feels wonderful. I also think my moisturizer is working better too! Great go to list!!

I’ve actually started using the oil cleansing method on my face. No harsh chemicals and IT WORKS!! I love it. I’ve been meaning to do a post on it, but they are all over the internet right now. I’ve become much more diligent about cleaning my face ever since I’ve started. I have acne prone skin (and I’m 28!) I started using a mixture of Olive Oil and Castor Oil on my face every night (I did a lot of research for the correct proportions and I’ve since adjusted it to fit my needs better). It also works as a make up remover. I even use a little Jojoba oil in the mornings as a moisturizer. My skin still breaks out occasionally but nothing major. They aren’t major breakouts. My skin has become more predictable and manageable. I’m sure if I ate a little better it would help (my diet affects my skin, too). I bought my Castor and Jojoba oil off of Amazon.

Niki Luna says:

I have a nightly face washing routine that I can not go to bed without doing! We went on a weekend trip and my friends laughed at me and my OCD bedtime ritual. But my skin is gonna look so much better than theirs and I will be the one laughing!! lol! To remove eye makeup I can’t live without Neutrogena eye makeup remover. This stuff is the bomb. A tube lasts a long time and it’s only $7! I had also had my heart set on a Clarissonic but just couldn’t swing the price. So after alot of research, I bought a Pretika Sonic Dermabrsion Facial Brush off of Amazon. I have been using it for about a year and a half. I gave around $30 for it and I AM IN LOVE! My skin is so soft and everyone says I have a “glow”. I highly recommend this product!

My sis is OBSESSED with the Yes to Cucumbers face wipes and I’m obsessed with Cetaphil. It’s inexpensive and a bottle lasts a long time. Plus, I’ve had significantly less breakouts since using it. I just turned 28 and I’ve recently realized how important skin care is. I really recommend trying the “aspirin facial” (thanks Pinterest!). It’s also reaaaaally cheap and effective.

Val says:

Yes! A make up tutorial! I wear it everyday, but I’m horrible at putting it on. Can’t wait!

Jeni says:

Your links to all the products on Amazon were a little too helpful. I may or may not have just ordered $140 worth of products that may or may not be coming to my house in three shipments….. Just sayin.

Thanks!

Jimi says:

Do you use the cucumber wipes on your eyes? Or do you remove your eye makeup separately?

Reply says:

These are truly enormous ideas in regarding blogging. You have touched
    some nice points here. Any way keep up wrinting.

I have read some excellent stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking for
    revisiting. I surprise how a lot effort you put to
    make such a wonderful informative web site.

Nelle says:

Hi! I simply would like to give you a big thumbs up for your excellent info you’ve got here on this post. I’ll be returning
    to your blog for more soon.

Hey there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace group?
    There’s a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Thanks