Coconut Oil ~ Why you need it

Coconut Oil ~ How to use it.  That's What We SaidSo I’m sure I am late to jump on the Coconut Oil bandwagon.

But here’s the deal…it’s good stuff.

Of course it says it is “oil”, but it oil in a solid form, so it’s easy to use.  No spills!

Whether or not you are for or against cooking with coconut oil is not the topic of discussion today.  Honestly I have no idea, because my coconut oil is stored in my bathroom, not my kitchen.

This time of year my skin and hair are in desperate need of extra moisture…so this is a great alternative and kind of an all-around useful cream to have on-hand!

Here’s how I use it:

1.  Hair ~

• A deep conditioner:  Spread it on your hair and into your scalp… wrap your hair in a bun and let it sit for a while, or even overnight.  Then just shampoo and condition as you normally would.  You might need to shampoo twice to make sure it’s all out.  You can do this once or twice a week, as needed.  It’s really great!  My scalp gets itchy when the weather gets cold and this has worked wonders!
  • Split end treatment:  Use it after you have blown your hair dry.  Take a very small amount, rub it in your fingers to warm it up and rub it onto your ends.

2.  Face ~

• Eye makeup remover: Rub some between your fingers and then in a circular motion to remove eye make up.  Rinse off with warm water!
  • Cleanser:  Use it basically the same way you would use a cream cleanser.  The oil melts away the dirt.  Rinse with warm water.  It leaves your face clean, but feeling moisturized!
  • I have read that you can use the oil as a light highlighter on your cheekbones and brow bones also, but I haven’t ever tried this.
  • Lips:  A simple lip balm…works great!

3.  Body ~

• Use it like a body butter.  It takes a bit of time to fully absorb, but it leaves your skin completely soft!
  • Foot and heel treatment.  Slather it on at night and slip on some socks..wake up to soft feet!
  • Shaving cream:  This is another one I haven’t tried, but I can see how it would work.  I just wouldn’t want all that oil going down my drain, as I have a septic system here at my house.
  • Cuticle Cream.  Obvious.

So there you go.  A huge amount of ideas for a measly $7.00.

Don’t say I don’t care about your wallet :)

Comments

SC says:

Love coconut oil for the hair and body. I didn’t have such great luck with it on the face, however. It is comedogenic and for anyone with a tendency to get clogged pores, it doesn’t work out so well.

I use coconut oil a lot! As a lip balm, it is really effective.

It also makes an incredible deodorant. Hubs and I try to use lots of natural products, and for me, natural deodorants work great. For him…not so much. However, he mixes coconut oil with baking soda and corn starch, then uses a small amount for deodorant and it’s the best one he’s ever used (natural or otherwise). It’s pretty much completely odorless, and it works like a charm. Plus, a tiny little bit goes a long, long way. :)

I haven’t tried some of your other suggestions; I can’t wait to see how my hair does with it.

Megan Wallace says:

I was using Coconut oil as shaving cream for a while and LOVED it. Didn’t have to lotion those babies. Oddly enough, I found that it made my razor dull up faster? Maybe it was just those couple of razors.

I will definitely have to try it for the hair treatment! I have killer dandruff right now

Cara says:

I love coconut oil! I have tried this kind that you have in the picture and really don’t like that particular kind. I think that the best deal and brand I have found so far is the Vitacost brand 54 oz for $21….can’t beat it :) We love to pop popcorn in coconut oil.

Marie M.C. says:

Does the coconut oil give any taste to the popcorn? I’ve never used coconut oil for anything but I seem to be reading more about it ’round the web. I also know you can’t believe everything you read . . . on the web or anywhere. But Shelly — I believe YOU — and Kristan! (Did you do some Lucy holding so Kristan could get some much needed sleep? I worry about her.)

• Cara says:

It depends on what coconut oil you use I think. I have tried the one pictured above and didn’t care for it because it didn’t seem like it was very coconutty…if you know what I mean! Now if you aren’t a coconut fan, then you might like that kind. But when I use my regular Vitacost brand coconut oil, I love the hint of coconut that it gives the popcorn.

Beki G says:

I remember my mom making homemade coconut oil about 25 years ago when I was a kid and rubbing it all over my hair. I thought it was some crazy asian old wives tale. I guess mama’s always right!

I am so excited to use this on my hair! I bought some at Trader Joe’s (organic, virgin) for cooking purposes, but have never used it. Thanks for all the fabulous ideas

Natasha says:

My mom is from India and she would put coconut oil in my hair all the time as a kid. It left my hair feeling really soft. I also put a little bit in my hair before I swim- it protects it from the chlorine.

Reesa says:

The reason this coconut oil is not as “coconutty” is because it is refined; bleached and treated, essentially. If you want something that smells like coconut, go for “Virgin”. Trader Joe’s has Virginin coconut oil for around $7.00, and Spectrum is easy to find at Walmart of Safeway, etc. I don’t use the refined stuff often, because I love the smell of coconut.