February Reading List

It’s a new month, so that means new books.  Yay!!

I found some good ones that I’m pretty excited about.  But first — have you read any of my choices from January?  I’d love to hear your thoughts.  I’ve read all of them and just finished The Passage.  It was super duper long, but I’m glad I stuck with it because it was so good!!

I loved every book on last month’s list but This Bright River.  If you haven’t read it yet, I wouldn’t really bother.  It was a bit complicated and not as intriguing as it sounded.  I hate when that happens.

Here are my choices for this month:

Wise Men by Stuart Nadler

I just started this one last night…and so far it’s great.  I think I’m going to love it.

The plot, from Amazon.com:

Almost overnight, Arthur Wise has become one of the wealthiest and most powerful attorneys in America. His first big purchase is a simple beach house in a place called Bluepoint, a town on the far edge of the flexed arm of Cape Cod.  It’s in Bluepoint, during the summer of 1952, that Arthur’s teenage son, Hilly, makes friends with Lem Dawson, a black man whose job it is to take care of the house but whose responsibilities quickly grow. When Hilly finds himself falling for Lem’s niece, Savannah, his affection for her collides with his father’s dark secrets. The results shatter his family, and hers.  Years later, haunted by his memories of that summer, Hilly sets out to find Savannah, in an attempt to right the wrongs he helped set in motion. But can his guilt, and his good intentions, overcome the forces of history, family, and identity?  A beautifully told multigenerational story about love and regret, Wise Men confirms that Stuart Nadler is one of the most exciting young writers at work today.

warm

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

So, I have zero desire to see the new Warm Bodies movie, but I’ve heard that the book is really good.  And I’m always willing to invest my time in a book.  Because even if it was kinda bad…I read a book, so it’s not a total waste, right?  The reviews on the book are awesome, and apparently Stephanie Meyer recommended it to Twilight fans.  We’ll see!!

The plot, from Amazon.com:

R is having a no-life crisis—he is a zombie. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse, but he is a little different from his fellow Dead. He may occasionally eat people, but he’d rather be riding abandoned airport escalators, listening to Sinatra in the cozy 747 he calls home, or collecting souvenirs from the ruins of civilization.  And then he meets a girl.  First as his captive, then his reluctant house guest, Julie is a blast of living color in R’s gray landscape, and something inside him begins to bloom. He doesn’t want to eat this girl—although she looks delicious—he wants to protect her. But their unlikely bond will cause ripples they can’t imagine, and their hopeless world won’t change without a fight.

story2

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

I always love reading a new Jodi Picoult.  This one comes out late this month, and it’s about a baker, so it’s definitely on my list.

The plot, from Amazon.com:

Some stories live forever . . . Sage Singer is a baker. She works through the night, preparing the day’s breads and pastries, trying to escape a reality of loneliness, bad memories, and the shadow of her mother’s death. When Josef Weber, an elderly man in Sage’s grief support group, begins stopping by the bakery, they strike up an unlikely friendship. Despite their differences, they see in each other the hidden scars that others can’t, and they become companions.Everything changes on the day that Josef confesses a long-buried and shameful secret—one that nobody else in town would ever suspect—and asks Sage for an extraordinary favor. If she says yes, she faces not only moral repercussions, but potentially legal ones as well. With her own identity suddenly challenged, and the integrity of the closest friend she’s ever had clouded, Sage begins to question the assumptions and expectations she’s made about her life and her family. When does a moral choice become a moral imperative? And where does one draw the line between punishment and justice, forgiveness and mercy?In this searingly honest novel, Jodi Picoult gracefully explores the lengths we will go in order to protect our families and to keep the past from dictating the future.

brokenglass

Dancing on Broken Glass by Ka Hancock

This book was reviewed by Jenna on Eat, Live, Run and she said she couldn’t put it down.  That was enough for me!!  I also checked out the reviews on Amazon and they’re great.

The plot, according to Amazon.com:

An unvarnished portrait of a marriage that is both ordinary and extraordinary, Dancing on Broken Glass takes readers on an unforgettable journey of the heart.Lucy Houston and Mickey Chandler probably shouldn’t have fallen in love, let alone gotten married. They’re both plagued with faulty genes—he has bipolar disorder; she, a ravaging family history of breast cancer. But when their paths cross on the night of Lucy’s twenty-first birthday, sparks fly, and there’s no denying their chemistry.Cautious every step of the way, they are determined to make their relationship work—and they put their commitment in writing. Mickey will take his medication. Lucy won’t blame him for what is beyond his control. He promises honesty. She promises patience. Like any marriage, there are good days and bad days—and some very bad days. In dealing with their unique challenges, they make the heartbreaking decision not to have children. But when Lucy shows up for a routine physical just shy of their eleventh anniversary, she gets an impossible surprise that changes everything. Everything. Suddenly, all their rules are thrown out the window, and the two of them must redefine what love really is.

That’s it for this month!!

Have any suggestions for next?  I’d love to hear them!!

Comments

Deb Hanson says:

I am a reading fool, however, what I really like is mystery/suspense. I will give these choices of yours a go though, I have been known to read other genre
    Thanks Deb

Carrie Hinkley says:

I recently read The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom. It was very moving, funny, sad, tragic all rolled into one.

Amazon.com Review:

When a white servant girl violates the order of plantation society, she unleashes a tragedy that exposes the worst and best in the people she has come to call her family.Orphaned while onboard ship from Ireland, seven-year-old Lavinia arrives on the steps of a tobacco plantation where she is to live and work with the slaves of the kitchen house. Under the care of Belle, the master’s illegitimate daughter, Lavinia becomes deeply bonded to her adopted family, though she is set apart from them by her white skin. Eventually, Lavinia is accepted into the world of the big house, where the master is absent and the mistress battles opium addiction. Lavinia finds herself perilously straddling two very different worlds. When she is forced to make a choice, loyalties are brought into question, dangerous truths are laid bare, and lives are put at risk.

The Kitchen House is a tragic story of page-turning suspense, exploring the meaning of family, where love and loyalty prevail.

The Storyteller is on my list too and I will be adding Wise Men thanks for the ideas. Have you read The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton? I loved it.

Sandra says:

I read Heft from the January list and enjoyed it. I am currently reading What Alice Forgot, and so far it’s great! I have just put The Storyteller and Dancing on Broken Glass on hold at the library. Thanks for the recommendations!

Kim says:

I read Warm Bodies awhile ago and LOVED it and the movie was so disappointing :(

Dora says:

I agree with you about ‘This Bright River’ – too complicated and way more violent than I expected.

Jimi says:

I just LOVE it when your new reading list comes out. One possible suggestion for you would be Erica Bauermeister’s new book The Lost Art of Mixing. I’ve been looking forward to reading it, but my library doesn’t have it yet. It’s also about a baker.

Carolynn says:

I had to read a book called “The Secret Scripture” for a class I took last semester, and I recommend it 100% if you don’t mind a little emotional rollercoaster. I couldn’t stop reading it just because the characters were so interesting! It was written by Sebastian Berry.

Theresa says:

I read all the books on your list from January, but I could not finish This Bright River. I loved all the books as usual and especially loved The Passage and cannot wait to read The Twelve. I also read Alice in Zombieland, don’t bother if you have it on your list.. I did not enjoy it and I love zombies. Your list for this month looks very good and cannot wait to get started.. I also added to my list The Chocolate Money and Sweet Tooth… Happy reading!!

Gretchen says:

I’m currently reading Heft from your last list and I really like it so far! I think I will definitely read The Storyteller, Dancing on Broken Glass, and Wise Men. I always enjoy your recommendations!

Niki Luna says:

I finished “What Alice forgot” and it was great! Loved it! Next is Dancing on broken glass!

Amy says:

I read The Passage and loved it. Currently reading The Twelve, so good as well!! They are long but worth it.

Rachel says:

I haven’t read Warm Bodies but I saw the movie; I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a cute movie. I enjoyed it a WHOLE LOT more than the Twilight series. I gave up on that after the second movie and by the third book, I was hoping that they would kill off Bella. You know it’s bad when you are wishing the main character dead! I think you need to give Warm Bodies a chance.

Marie M.C. says:

Warm Bodies is on my reading list. Finished The Invisible Thread a while ago. Loved it! Has anyone else read it? Half way through it was “get our your handkerchief” time. Sad, eye opening, moving, heartfelt, true. Gave me the warm fuzzies.

Megan W says:

Loved The Passage! I am currently reading the second book, The Twelve.

Tiffany S says:

I absolutly love your book lists, I cant wait for summer to get here and I can catch up on all the good reads I have marked! I recently finished warm bodies and loved it! Summer cant get here soon enough this mom is taking a break from my school and hectic schedules!

1. [...] you read the books on the February list [...]